Tuesday, June 21, 2016

It Seemed Like Such A Good Idea...

Seven years ago I started writing about trying to survive my children's antics.  I was single, broke, and tired.  Oldest was quirky, inquisitive, and insisted everything always be fair.  Youngest was wired different, had high anxiety, and a hot temper. Then, as if to mock me further, they ran in the opposite directions of each other knowing full well I could only chase one, or split myself in two.

There were times I thought I'd never make it out alive.

But here we are.  Seven years have brought me a bonus son, a husband, a decent job and two very well adjusted teenage boys.  Oldest is still quirky and inquisitive, but is quick to help out around the house when he's not glued to the computer.  And while Youngest is still wired different, he's more of an artful celebration than train wreck.

Over the last year I have lost my desire to write at Surviving Boys.  Google linked more things, my real life identity became more threatened, my domain name was sold off, and I just felt as if I had outgrown things there.

But I still wanted to write.

Because while the times have changed, I haven't.

I still say yes far more than I should.  I still want to be involved in their lives even when they fight fiercely for their independence.  I still do far more than I should around the house, get knee deep in projects I know nothing about, and run myself into the ground for people who don't care. I am over-scheduled, underpaid, and over involved. Work still takes full advantage of me, as evidenced by my now servicing 987 customers a day. I am volunteering in Youngest's Scout Troop to the tune of 15 to 20 hours per week and often stay to help out with community projects.

Which means there's still plenty to write about.

Because now a days, it's less about Surviving Boys, and more about Surviving Myself.

9 comments:

  1. I think you'll just fine surviving yourself! But like I said before on your other blog, you do need to carve sometime out for you and make sure you take care of you. I look forward to reading more of your adventures here and I have to say every time I see the mail lady deliver our mail here (we now have a mailbox on the curb as opposed to the last place we lived where there was a community block of boxes), I think of you. You are not that old, she's probably in her mid 40's, but I wonder how she manages in the extreme heat here and the way our mail boxes are, she has to get out and put the mail in them as opposed to just driving by, opening the mailbox, etc. You guys work hard!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, one other thing, do you think you would consider putting up a follower type button thing? I signed up for getting email notifications but I seem to do better if they come through on my Blogger Dashboard, but whatever works good for you.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's not always enough ade to go with all the lemons but we all seem to make it. Since I quit posting I've gained 2 grand babies. Pretty sure the two aren't linked but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, here I am! No shame in being down to what we're all doing anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still following you, although I am one of the ones who have (for the moment at least) stopped my personal blogging.
    I love reading your stories as they come through on my email and look forward to all your future adventures.
    Sending hugs and smiles xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll follow you whenever & wherever I can find you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just looking and found that you moved. Love your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am here and I look forward to reading all that you post about your life, or whatever else comes to mind

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our stories change every day and sometimes the title of our book needs to change too. I have missed your stories and am glad to see you here. I only blog about once every 4-5 months myself. I just can't seem to get back into it. HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Fresh Starts...

I was given another old trunk by an old friend of my husband. It wasn't in the roughest shape, but it definitely wasn't useable. I b...