Sunday, August 7, 2016

Baby Steps...

Ten days ago, I had surgery on my left foot.  On Wednesday, I went to the doctor, who promptly cut the bandages off and said "Yup. Looking great. Keep it clean and covered, but you can get it wet now. It will be a bit tender, but you will not need crutches. Wear a boot at night, but otherwise a shoe and sock are fine for the day.  Stitches will come out next week."

Excellent.

Truth be told, I had had virtually no pain all week and I was SO excited to not have to use the crutches anymore.  No more rubbing my armpits and mysterious pains from muscles in my arms I never use.  No more having to load food on my son's rolling office chair just to get it 6 feet across the kitchen to the stove.

The doctor left.  Still sitting on the exam table, I popped my surgical shoe back on since I had forgotten my sneaker in the car, and I hopped off the table.

Holy. Mother. Of. Jesus. Christ. Of. Latter. Day. Saints!!!!!!!

"You won't need the crutches anymore," MY ASS!!

I hobbled about ten feet before I gave up and crutched my way to the car.  Thursday, I managed most of the day with one crutch. Friday I made it almost 2 hours before I needed the crutch.  Saturday, I managed most of the day off the crutch, but then again, I didn't do much all day.  Today, I used the cart as a walker and made it through an entire grocery trip AND downstairs to help Youngest with his fish tank.

I'm calling that a win.

It's still tender.  I have a huge bruise over the soft center area of the bottom of the foot.  The inside of my middle toe is also bruised pretty bad.  The 15 stitches are pulling, but they are not oozing anymore.  And, my skin is still peeling like crazy, but I think that will subside once the stitches come out and I can scrub accordingly.

So all and all, I'm making slow and steady progress.  I also have no feeling in my heel at all. I have read up online and have found that feeling can take up to 3 months to return completely.

I am still glad I did this. I'm just struggling with the baby steps.

Literally.




10 comments:

  1. At least you know it will heal (& it should hurt less to walk each day)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you ARE healing - and those baby steps will result in huge strides! Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crutches suck even when you depend on them. I can remember crashing and burning on them pre surgery (which was pre blog, just barely.) Glad to hear all is progressing... if slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is getting better so you can take solace in that. I broke an ankle several years ago. It was amazing to me how much I took just walking to the bathroom for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's okay to use the crutches until YOU don't think you need them. Doing too much too soon is a great way to be right back in the operating room. Doctors want you to push things a little, and I understand that, but you should not be in a huge amount of pain. Discomfort is one thing, horrendous pain isn't good.

    After each surgery on knees something else has gone numb. Huge area on left leg where there's so much nerve damage that they're 'pretty sure' the feeling will never return. I have tried to think of a reason that could come in handy... so far, nope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lather, rinse and repeat for the next one. At least you will know what to expect this time. Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All in all a good report I'm thinking :) Just keep making those baby steps, one step at a time!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all takes time to heal. But you are moving forward so all good. It's hard to be patient Hough and not get frustrated I expect. (I am back blogging with a new look and blog name, same address)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah doctors say these things and we think if it was you would you being getting about without the crutches they say these things but really don't know how painful it is because they have never experienced the injury, the surgery or whatever so they are clueless.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...