Thursday, September 29, 2016

Unfriended....

I found myself thinking of an old friend today.

When I got home I popped her name into Facebook just to see what she'd been up to.  We have been "friends" on Facebook for probably the last 10 years. Six years ago she found a new job, and our friendship became very much hit or miss, but I did check in with her every so often.  Somewhere around the 2008 election I hid her husband from my news feed, not because I didn't like him, but because I didn't like the hatefulness in which he was expressing his political opinion.  About 3 years ago, I hid her from my news feed.  Her marriage had exploded (again), and while I reached out to her in a real way, offering an ear, breakfast, coffee, she never took me up on it.

Which was okay.  I get it.  When you are in that moment, you don't always want company.  She chose to stay in her marriage, to work things out (again).  And while I don't judge her for her choice, I worried for her as my friend, that the 5th time would become the 6th...7th... It's tough to watch someone stay on an emotional roller coaster by choice, but it wasn't my choice to make, and I can respect her decision.

Anyway, today I popped her name into my FB and she was gone.  I'd been unfriended.  Ironically we still have 5 mutual friends, people she also has very little contact with, but yet she unfriended me. Now, we haven't talked in 3 years.  We are in very different places in our lives.  We have very little in common.  My husband is not a huge fan of our friendship because of the drama that is ever going on in her life.

And yet, the unfriending bothers me.

Then I got to wondering who else was still left in my news feed.  Ironically, I am either tied to most of them through Scouts, work, or the internet. A quarter of my "friends" I have never met. I have hidden another quarter of the list from my feed, and I find myself enjoying my unknown friends more than the known ones. It slowly started to come to me that it's not about the people in my list, it's about the connection that Facebook assumes that you have. The other half of my feed is advertisements now. So if I'm not feeling crappy about not being able to see an old friend's life, or smirking over a completely fake joyous post of someone I know is outright miserable, I am constantly being reminded of how I can "heal my foot pain", or get cured of my diverticulitis.

What am I doing?

I really hate Facebook.  I hate the time it takes up.  I took the app off my phone, and yet sadly I find myself checking in in other ways.  I hate the way it portrays everyone's life as perfect, and yet often through over-posting, pathetic.  I hate the way a friend's post about how wonderful her husband is about staying with her 7 hours in the ER makes me think "Oh, nice" and "Wait?  Isn't that what a husband is supposed to do?"  all at the same time.

What I hate most of all, is that realistically, I can't just deactivate my account right now.

Facebook messes with the mind, folks.  It will make you crazy.

In truth, I don't want to reconnect with her face to face,  I just wanted to know that she was okay. Which she is of course, she's just doing her own thing.  As am I. Who knows why she unfriended me.  Maybe she was just surrounding herself with like minded people. Maybe she thought I'd judge her for staying. Maybe she just didn't want my non-sugar coated thoughts on things. Which makes me think she may have never even known me at all.  Or maybe, like myself, she too looked at my random posts and felt conflicted, like I was trying to portray something that wasn't my reality.

Or maybe, it was just time for us to finally be done with our time together.  Maybe our friendship had run it's course, and the connection through Facebook had perpetuated it way past it's time. Like a life support that continues to breath life into something that the plug should have been pulled on long ago.




7 comments:

  1. I have deactivated my fb account over and over again. I hate it so much. On one hand, you have such mean and hateful people. On the other, the #blessed people. Nobody is real. But, I find myself logging back in every other day or so. Then immediately get angry and deactivate again. It's like a bag of chips. You just can't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loathe Facebook - but can't completely cut the cord either. My compromise - peek in every once in a while but rarely, if ever, post or comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it weren't for Facebook, I would have no idea what my friends are doing in their lives. We never pick up the phone anymore or schedule lunches or dinners. I miss talking to them face to face, but everyone is so busy with kids, work, school, etc. it makes it hard to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your friend, but I've done similar things with friends that we might have moved away from, not just physically, but emotionally, etc. I like to keep my friend level down on facebook, mainly to see what family is doing, because you are right, you can get so caught up in it. Maybe she was just cleaning up her friends and trying to simplify her life, but it does tug at our hearts when we realize we aren't "friends" any more on social media.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts on the various parts of this post:

    People with wonderful lives? Boy, you sure don't have MY facebook feed! A lot of our feed is either friends from blogging (and I have learned a lot of bloggers are there because they need stress outlets and prayer helpers) or Laurie's shirttail relation. I never hear too much about wonderful lives. But drama? THAT I have sometimes.


    Getting unfriended: Wonder if this person posted one of those annoying "If you still want to be friends, copy and paste this self-pitying monologue on your wall" deals and you missed it. If you depend on me to copy/paste to be your friend, adios, muchacho. And that goes the same for those who think my salvation is dependant on sharing or liking their latest religious picture. Jesus knows me without FB, dude. (This would be the "Laurie's shirttail relation" section.)

    Friends list: Among my current friends I have one dead guy (whose account has been left open for memorials and I don't mind being reminded), the city of Athens TX (For some protest I no longer remember), and four accounts of my daughter- one got hacked, two more she forgot her password.

    "My husband doesn't appreciate her drama"- Tony is a wise man. Whoda thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a love/hate relationship with it, too. I have friends from many different viewpoints, some I agree with, some I do not. As long as they're not insisting I think their way, I don't really care about what they're thinking or how... it's up to them. I won't vote based on things I see on FB, I don't do religion, either. But it's fine with me if some of my friends do... again as long as they don't think I must view things from their position. I don't keep track of how many friends I have on FB, either. I don't even know unless I look it up.

    But the best FB story I know is that my sister in law unfriended me because I publicly said that it's really up to individuals to love who they love and if you believe in God, he told you not to judge.

    It wasn't even directed at her.

    But apparently something like that appearing on her FB might make other people, her 'christian' friends, have doubts. Because their faith is so fragile that FB can cause them to backslide.

    I called my brother and his wife Dick and Snatchie on my blog. As far as I'm concerned, those should actually be their real names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Facebook but I am not addicted to it I check it once or twice a day but don't spend hours a day on it like some, my mum loves it too and she spends more time on it then I do she likes it because it keeps her informed with what is happening with her grandchildren. I also get how being unfriended can bug ya, my niece unfriended me a while back can't remember why wasn't that bothered by it since it took me 3 months to realise she had unfriended me but it did bug me as I didn't know why I was unfriended.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Fresh Starts...

I was given another old trunk by an old friend of my husband. It wasn't in the roughest shape, but it definitely wasn't useable. I b...