Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Resolutions...

New year, new decade. *Eh*


"Accept The Things You Can Not Change" -Neibuhr

I'm not one for resolutions. I am of the mind that if you don't like something you change it. If you can't change it, you change your attitude about it.  I am not as fit as I'd like to be, but I've learned to accept that I have lived my life, and that comes with stretch marks, squishiness, and huggabilty. I could go to the gym, the boys use our memberships regularly, but they are packed full right now and I hate sit ups. By accepting that I don't want to put in the work, I can therefore embrace the jiggle. Sure I could eat healthier, but cutting carbs and sugar usually makes me crazy and I can't be starting the decade out stabbing someone with a fork.

"Let go or be dragged" -K. McCreight

I am not however immune to analyzing my life like we all do this time of year.  Last year it became apparent that unlike the rest of the middle aged world, my diverticulitis was triggered not by food, but by stress.  I laughed at the doctor when he said "You are going to have to eliminate the stress in your life."  Seriously.  What kind of medical advice is that?  Stress for anyone is inevitable.  Stress, in a house full of boys, is as unavoidable as fart jokes. Nevertheless, I took a hard line on many things this past year.  I let go and trusted Oldest to do the right things with his free time. After a small (mostly) private breakdown, I held Bonus Son more accountable for his 6 month *rent-a-room* in the basement of the house, and let go of my pipe dream expectations of how it would be when he came to live with us. And, I all but ignored Youngest's antics until it became HUGELY apparent he still needed a mother to guide him through this section of his life, or threaten to take him out if it.  Whatever. In the end, I  have only had a few flairs, none of which I needed to be hospitalized for. 

"The house won't fall when the bones are good"-Marin Morris

There was a moment last month that while making dinner, we realized the house was empty except for the husband, myself, and the dog. Funny how that happens.  You wait years for some peace and quiet, maybe even lock yourself in the bathroom for it, and when it comes it's, for lack of a better word, uncomfortable. While not exactly empty nesting, because they will be back and forth for the next 5 years or so, things will be very different.  We have never been a married couple without kids.  We never had a honey moon phase, or had a story of just us. And while our foundation is good, it goes without saying that when you've spent the last 16 years of your lives with the distraction of kids staring at each other day in and day out can be, well, daunting.  So of course, we got a dog. 

Need a break? Walk the dog.  

Want a distraction? Pat the dog.

Arguing over the kids a wee bit too loud? Dog will interrupt like an obnoxious toddler.

The dog, friends, single handedly saved out marriage over the last year.  She offerd us a distraction, a reason to communicate that didn't involve crtitical analyzis of parenting skills, and a reason to get out into the fresh air, sometimes together, sometimes alone.

"We're not broken, just bent, and can learn to love again" -Pink

But if I look at that moment, and the moments in between, it has come to light this year that I do need to make a change. We have fallen into the routines, the doldrum of everyday life, sometimes passing the leash off as our ships pass in the night. So this year I've decided that before the scilence and monotony breaks us, I will work a little each day on writing my side of the story of us.

I will hold his hand.
Kiss him at least once a day.
Ask for help instead of being resentful.
Hold him accountable for his part on this team. 
Maybe, listen to his incessant political rambling, maybe.

This year I will resolve to be more.
More of a wife.
More of a partner.
More of US.
More of myself.





8 comments:

  1. Lovely resolutions - minus listening to the incessant political rambling...I'm done with hearing it. And, if he's a smart man, my husband will have figured that out before I'm forced to bludgeon him. ;-)

    Happy New Year, Juli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a political junkie. Honestly, no matter which station he has on in the background it's toxic.

      Delete
  2. Change is inevitable, love is evolving with it. 'Embracing the jiggle' in all these areas is great, b/c you really have to let go of that which you cannot control. Too many of the politically minded on both sides can't do this, they tie their concept of control to their political affiliation, and that's never gonna work. My beating of you in a political 'debate' accomplishes zero positive if I'm not running for office, and if we agree, well, we agree and don't need to debate. LIFE GOES ON, as you know better than most. Kick out resentment, go with that program you described, and show everyone how to be the better person. May you be blessed in your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more about reconnecting as a couple and finding OUR niche together. I can not change him, only how I am with him. So far, it's been pretty positive. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm so "stealing" what you are going to do as your part of the story this year with your marriage. We're adjusting to retirement here and having hubby around all day. What we're learning is we both need space so we're working on one of us gone for a few hours every few days to give us both breathing room.

    I think you did great last year with how you tried to reduce stress. It showed with not having to be hospitalized and probably feeling better in general!

    I said it before, but when we had our corgi, he was exactly what we needed when we first got him. Got him in the midst of son's turbulent teen years when we needed the comic relief of a dog and something to actually talk about that didn't result in fights breaking out. Might have to get a dog now........

    Happy New Year! I'm sure it will be a great one for you and yours!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away. Reconnecting is always good, yes? Alaska has been key for us, and him. I believe she has slowly started to heal what was broken in him when he lost his mother years ago. We can not imagine days without her now.

      Delete
  4. It really is about finding what works for you.
    Not listening to what other people are doing for themselves/against themselves.
    Letting things go and realizing that sometimes it's really hard to do nothing... especially when there's really nothing to be done.

    I hope you have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Keeping up with the Jones's has never really been my thing. It's hard letting go of them when you KNOW they are headed for heartache and trouble, but sometimes they just have to find it. Are we out of the woods with Youngest? Heck no. But he's coming around to seeing things on his own terms and for today, he is okay.

      Delete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...