Monday, October 26, 2020

2020's Got Us All Feeling Like This Momma Alpaca...

 

It has occurred to me that I never did post any pictures of my time away.   

It was lovely. I am convinced that the best time to visit Martha's Vineyard is off season, be it early Spring or late Fall.  While it was a bit sad to see that many shops had not just closed up for season, but for good, there was still plenty open and beautiful sights to see.

We took a car this time.  Being off season it's a piece of cake to get around the tiny streets.  In the summer, it's bike or bus hands down, which can make it tougher to get to the outer parts of the island. We finally made it out to Aquinnah and Gay Head Lighthouse.  The view was breathtaking...





The cliffs are a result of erosion.  Years ago you could hike the edges but not now.  It's far too dangerous and efforts are being strongly enforced to slow the slide into the ocean.  There's a specific kind of calmness to the island off season that just doesn't happen mid summer.  

Because of COVID we had to wait a half hour or so for our table at the Black Dog Tavern for lunch, but the view, and the meal, never disappoint me...



While it was a bit disappointing that many things are restricted because of COVID, the island's response and diligence to preventative measures is extremely reassuring.  Upon entering every shop and restaurant you MUST sanitize your hands, even at the spa I was required to wear a mask for my massage.  I was only permitted to put it down when I was lying face down on the table so I could breathe. Youngest also did not have to wear one while in the pool swimming. Course, he was the only one in the pool at 8pm.  The Hubs found me this great pillow for the couch in one of the shops.  I love it. It says "No Worries" on the other side, but this side is a great reminder for us all, particularly in 2020.

Our most favorite place on the island is Island Alpaca.  If you've never felt alpaca fur you are seriously missing out.  Some of the fur is so fine and soft it's as if you're not touching anything at all. My Mom ordered me some soft deer skin, alpaca lined slippers from the gift shop for my birthday.  They may be my favorite thing ever.  I splurged on some crazy yarn for a scarf. 


The weekend was nice, calm, and relaxing.  Youngest only told me I was "wasting his day" once, at 830 am Sunday morning.  Apparently, he'd been up since 6 am and was bored.  Had I known I'd have met him on the roof for breakfast.  Oldest and I had gone up the night before and checked out the "city" lights below. 

This in the town side.  Once it's dark the ocean side is pretty boring.  But I assure you, there is no better place to see a sunrise or sunset than the roof of our Inn. We ended up coming home on an earlier ferry.  Hubs was still having difficulty breathing which made hiking completely out of the question, and the boys were running out of money and things to do. But for a brief 12 hours or so it was nice to only have to worry about myself.  The boys went antiquing and had a really good time together, which they desperately needed.  The months have not been kind to their relationship, and they really needed this time to spend together to heal some of the damage.  It also helped that their room was HUGE, convenient to the gym and pool, and included a front porch with rocking chairs to take in the island sights. They were also fans of the fuzzy bathrobes.

Coming home was less than awesome as real life is messy, loaded with laundry, and grocery shopping. I went back to work, Hubs went back to work on Thursday and is still muddling through.  Some days are good, others he needs to take breaks to breathe.  

Bonus son isn't feeling great lately.  We are checking on him daily to make sure he doesn't fall off the Earth.  He lives alone, and it's not unusual for us to not hear from him for weeks on end, so if he gets really sick it's unlikely we'd know. 

Oldest got his mid term grades, 4 As, 1 B, one C.  The C is because he missed a quiz.  Hopefully he'll be able to pull up the grade with some strong labs and test grades.  Chemistry is his only "in person" class, so it's plausible he'll make the Dean's list again. No pressure on him though, remote learning is hell for everyone engulfed in it, and sadly it's looking like Spring semester will be more of the same.

Youngest tried a Jujitsu class Saturday.  He loved it, and came home with a black eye.  Unfortunately he can't do the classes because his schedule at UPS is working nights. He asked me today to help him with a resume, and we found a job online as an entry level metal fabricator, and sent his new resume in.  Funny, when he was a Freshman he wanted to do the metal fabrication vocational program, but when the new school opened they discontinued it and he was forced into plumbing. He loved it though and was generally good at it.  We've had many conversations about now being the time to learn a trade that can carry him through.  Hopefully it's sticking with him.  Fingers crossed. he's also 20 minutes from being done with the driver retraining he has to do, and his car finally has plates and insurance. It's a slow and steady pace, 2 steps forward and one step back, but it's movement nonetheless.

As for me, I'm looking forward.  I did some emergency shopping today in case the world goes crazy again next Tuesday. COVID cases are popping up all around us.  Coworkers, family, friends of friends. I may save my scarf project for when I'm inevitably quarantined. Christmas is only 8 weeks away, and with Oldest's birthday is in 2 weeks, I've started looking for the best deals.  I picked this up for my niece today...

 Because who doesn't want a giant unicorn for Christmas?

I know I could use one.

Rumor is they fart rainbows. 

Maybe there will be a pot of gold at the end of 2020, 

instead of what is usually at the end of a fart.


4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics. We have a Black Dog Tavern, too, (I think Pub, actually), wedged scenically between our financial advisors office and a strip mall with a CVS. Seen and felt alpaca many times, as they are exhibited at our Johnny Appleseed festival... hopefully we'll have one again someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2020 isa shit year for many of us but life goes on and we continue to live and thing what the hell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing those pictures - it's BEAUTIFUL there! Maybe one day...

    And I'm not crazy about the fact that you reminded me Christmas is only 8 weeks away...I've been sticking my head in the sand on that because well, I don't know where to begin since we aren't going anywhere that isn't necessary - so it's strictly online shopping for me. I need to start "thinking outside the box" on this issue.

    I know what you mean about Bonus Son - it's the same with me for Man-Child. Luckily he calls his dad most days. He'll respond to my texts and calls (usually) but nine times out of ten, if I don't reach out first, I hear nothing. And as much as I'd love to here from him more, I'm trying to give him his space and not "mom" him to death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looked like a lovely getaway. Short but sweet with good memories hopefully. All numbers are going up, I am waiting to see what gets closed here. At this point I don't care who wins next week, I just want the ads and texts over lol, especially since we already voted. Seems like all are doing the best they can!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...