Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Dude, Turn Off The Mom Signal...

Seriously, the signal's been on all day. 

Which then begs to question, if there really was a Mom Signal that lit up in the sky every time someone needed a Mom, what would it look like?  

I took the day off because Youngest had to meet with the surgeon regarding the labrum tear in his shoulder.  I had wanted to get some things done for myself that have been lingering before the appointment, and honestly, I am just tired.  Meanwhile my cortisone shot, for my shoulder, is scheduled for Friday, and while I wait I am losing sleep, and have slowly lost the ability to dress myself, hold the phone to my ear, or do cartwheels.  Full disclosure: I can't do a cartwheel with a healthy shoulder, but I might like to try, and now I can't.

The day started at 7am.  Youngest had the day off (unexpected) and his car needed to go back to the dealer to have a few things fixed.  Before we knew it it was 9:30. The husband also unexpectantly stayed home from work.  He is back to not being able to breathe.  So now Youngest's plans are messed up for the day.  In an effort to smooth things over I offer to download Netflix on his computer so he can watch a movie with his friend in his room.  Instead, I'm now stuck on the phone for almost two hours trying to get the referral for pulmonary for the husband. So, I ask Oldest to set it up for me.  He has a small fit about why he has to do all things technical and why do we still not have honey nut cheerios??? 

Um, maybe because no one can do anything for themselves and I haven't made it to the grocery store yet?

Fed up with everything, I tell Oldest to run the dishwasher when he's done cooking, and meet my Mom for lunch.  While waiting for her, I call and schedule the dog for her teeth cleaning, because apparently I'm the only one who can do that too. After lunch I ran to the grocery store, grabbed the basics, and head home. I put everything away, clean up a bit, move the laundry over so we all have clean masks tomorrow, and we're back out to the surgeon appointment 45 minutes away. The appointment went well, he's decided to hold off for now, perhaps entertain a cortisone shot down the line.  Then we head to his therapy appointment after a brief pit stop for food since there's not much time in between. As he goes in for his appointment, I get a call to help my nephew with his math homework. Then head to Home Depot to grab something to rig up a make shift windshield defrost in Oldest's car for the next three weeks until he leaves for school. I return to pick up Youngest, arrive home, and the dog needs to be walked.

I get in from that and Oldest, my technically savvy, go to for anything I am overwhelmed with, Dean's list student, says:

 "I need help with mailing that package. I don't know how to address it."

" You don't know how to use a Sharpie marker?"

"Not to address it correctly..."

And that is when I tapped out folks.  He can fix the door handle in my car, take apart his defrost to try and fix it, solve any computer issue we have, but can't remember how to address an envelope without me.

I'm done. Take a number family, get in line, pitch a tent... I'll get to you in the morning.

And now as I write this, I'm pretty sure I'll never see what my Mom Signal will look like shining bright in the sky, because my bulb is BURNT out.

And I'm the only one who'd be able to find the right bulb, change it out, and remember to pay the electric bill. 

15 comments:

  1. Calgon time?

    I'm sorry, you sound completely overwhelmed and unsupported and that's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more than Calgon. :) I am. And honestly it's not too far off than what I normally do, but with the husband home it's beyond frustrating. He can't do some things, and I get that, but he certainly could have called the vet, ordered propane, and sat on hold with HIS doctors. Yes, I am better at it, but it's not my job. He did empty the dishwasher and walk the dog, but still... I needed so much more from him. He's just checked out right now. That will circle back, he's a good man, it's just frustrating.

      I hate that I depend on Oldest to help me when I'm stressed. And I love that he still needs me for the stupid stuff like addressing a package, but today it was just too much. I will miss him terribly when he leaves to go back to the city in 3 weeks.

      At least today I'm heading to work and for the first time in 10 days I'm not training someone. He was great, but it's tough to be "on" all the time, even at home. Fingers crossed the cortisone works quickly tomorrow. This not sleeping is for the birds.

      Delete
  2. OMG! I remember so many days (years) like that. I used to have them in certain jobs I had, too, where I was the go-to person there also. My DIL is living through all of it right now--LOL! It's exhausting, for sure. All I can tell you is that you will have fond memories of them when these days have passed. Hang in there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys have stepped up their game, but yes, someday I will miss when no one needs me. Course there will always be the husband …

      Delete
  3. I can't dress myself or shower myself let alone walking more then a few steps before I start to drag my feet and shuffling like an old woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose when you've done everything for everyone else, it comes full circle and they help you when you need it.

      Delete
  4. Oh Juli - I know that feeling all too well. I'd suggest that you start delegating - but I know. Sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself.

    I had to laugh about the addressing the letter/package though - these kids raised in a digital world have absolutely NO idea how to do some of the real lift/time stuff. The last time, mine gave me something to mail he addressed it with the zip code before the city and state. I honestly think they should be a required course in high school called "Life Skills."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Lord, thank you that the only one in our house that isn't self sufficient is the doggie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men all stepped up their game in the days following. I suspect they were all taken a back when I finally "quit" for the day.

      Delete
  6. Hoping the cortisone shot works tomorrow and you get some relief! Hard to deal with pain on top of everything else you got on your plate. Us moms do carry a lot of the work, don't we? Son needed to find a doctor because he was having some knee swelling and pain, couldn't walk or work. He calls hubby for advice on how to find a doctor. Hubby gives him a couple of suggestions. I come home from work, find out what is going on and within 10 minutes I have booked an appt for him for the next day. He hadn't done anything hubby suggested. I told him when son calls asking for something he basically wants someone to take over. I need to start extinguishing the mom signal since he is 31 years old :)

    (I'm taking a blog break from posting but still reading blogs. Telling you this because I made my blog private so I wouldn't have to deal with scammers while I'm taking a break. Didn't want you to visit and see that it was private and wonder why, etc)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything falls on the moms of the world. It's not okay, it's not fair, it's not right--if I could change the universe, I would, but I'm stuck all the time, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oy, you need a break!! I recently blew up at my husband about HIS mother. When she calls here, I'm always the one to answer the phone (nobody else knows how apparently) and she always opens with, "What are you doing?" and it infuriates me!! I know it's just automatic for her, some people have a automatic greeting. But, what am I doing?? I'm doing ALL the things Deanna!! A.L.L. But I can't go off on her cuz she's my MIL, so hubby got an ear full.
    Anyways, all that to say, I get it. You've had a really bumpy (that's putting it lightly, I know) ride lately. I hope things start to even out for you! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister does the same thing! That night when she called to for the Math help, I told her literally everything I had done. Yeah... I suspect she'll stop asking for a bit. :) Though her house runs pretty much the same so... she gets it.

      Delete
  9. Being indispensable is downright difficult!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...