Sunday, January 23, 2022

We Have No Idea What We're Doing, But I Have One Foot In The Grave Anyway...

 My Dad, after the better part of 50 years of being a contractor, finally retired on December 31st. I called my Mum the other day and she told me he was enjoying his retirement by putting in a window for a customer. I don't really think he understands what being retired is all about, but still, I suppose there's an enormous difference between having to go to work, and wanting to go to work.

I called him today to ask him some technical advice. Hubs has been asking for a shed for years and I was thinking about getting him one for his birthday/father's day this year.  I had some general questions about size, permitting, etc. I am thinking about a pre fab one, simply because while I think both of us here at Clueless Construction can create a level platform for a shed to sit on, I am not fully confident in our ability to build a watertight roof that will not crush under potentially 2 feet of ice and snow. After all, our moto is "We have no idea what we are doing."

Me: So Dad, I know you're retired, but ... blah blah, size, lot lines, plastic, prefab... blah, blah

Him: Well, why wouldn't you just add on an extra room to the garage?

Me: Like on the side? And tie it into the roof line?  You do realize we have no idea what we're doing right?

Him: Eh, it's fine, just keep it a low roof, and follow the pitch... blah, blah...

Me: Maybe if you came over and knocked it out with Hubs, but like you're retired...

Him: Yeah, well that could be fun.  You let me know.

I'm not sure how much fun that would be, but I hope he likes getting paid in steak and cheese hoagies.  Because after pricing everything out, we will need a small mortgage to get this done regardless of if we decide to do prefab or not.  The cost of building materials, and well, everything, is ridiculous. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought myself an everlywell food sensitivity test to see if there's an ingredient I have a sensitivity to that I'm missing. It was a relatively simple test, and the results came back in about a week. Turns out I'm highly reactive to eggs, and moderately reactive to milk (but not cheese which is weird), Brazil nuts (not even sure I've ever had one) and chicken. I'm already Celiac, so no wheat, oat, barely or rye for me since 2007.  

If you're wondering what I can eat based off these results, you are not alone.  I have no idea either. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My ADD is in high gear lately, not sure why.  My restlessness has spurred a flurry of projects, many of which have sat undone for weeks. Of course, it doesn't help that we've had to tag team laundry duty at the mat twice a week, and I'm still working 6 days a week due to covid shortages, but I still needed a plan of attack or we'd be in pretty bad shape soon. So, I've made a list, no matter how small or big, with the goal of checking a few off a week. 

This week, I plan to fix Oldest's laundry bag and the hole in my sweatshirt, frame and mount Hub's collectible Bordaro Pinheiro Portugues fish so they don't break (again), work on finishing a puzzle with Hubs that he got for Christmas (from me), put up shelves, clear the wall of stuff from the breaker so the electrician has access to it, and buy/change the filter for the furnace. While this week's list isn't huge, I assure you, it's a feat to get it all done. Especially since the puzzle, now complete, took us collectively about 40 hours to finish, it's a tough one.

I also have a "business meeting" scheduled with Youngest. He has big plans, but no real steps to get there, so I have a choice, stay quiet and watch him fail, or give him my best advice (not as a mom but as someone with a degree in what he wants to do, and nearly 20 years in that field) and let him do with it what he wants. It's also a "life meeting", as his plans include moving out and being self-sufficient, neither of which he will do in the short time frame he would like if he doesn't have some deadlines. He approached me for advice on credit cards, and he's secured a, albeit a part time, job.  I find comfort in his communication, but while he's up for the meeting, he has yet to actually sit down for it.  We shall see...

Hubs and I did find time last week to run over to the burial plot I bought so he'd know where it was. The ground was all squishy, semi frozen, and super sticky as the weather's been wonky here.  It was the kind of mud that envelops your feet and can suck your shoe in.   While walking back to the vacant section, my foot slipped a bit, got stuck in about 4 inches of mud, and took me more than a second to pull out. It also happened to slide me right into the edge of a tombstone.

"I literally had one foot in the grave!!!"

Hubs just laughed and laughed.  

Keep laughing buddy boy, with everything that needs doing this week, your foot might be right in there with mine. 


7 comments:

  1. My gosh, that was a tough puzzle! When I was doing puzzles, I avoided those that had a lot of blue sky since that is hard to do. But this one seems impossible! Glad you got it done! Maybe you are going to need to go to a nutritionist to figure out what to eat. It seems like you are really limited in choices but yet you have to eat something, right? Congrats to your dad on his retirement, but I bet he still wants to keep busy doing his projects for fun rather than what he has to for work. You get the idea. I know a handyman from the Prescott area where we used to live here in Arizona. He posted on his Facebook page how depressing it is to give people estimates on work they want to do because of how expensive building material is. Good luck with what you decide on the shed! LOL about the one foot in the grave (literally) but good for you for pre-buying the burial plot. I had always thought cremation but now I'm thinking burial here. Getting it all done beforehand seems like a reasonable thing to do. Maybe I'll be slipping and sliding along graves myself soon while looking to purchase something.

    Good luck getting all your projects done that you got slated! And stay safe!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad will have Fun building you that Addition, call him, let him know... he's leaving that ball in your Court and those of us Retired that enjoyed Working, never really actually Retire because it wasn't so much like Work to us and we miss it. So, every so often we pop back out to do something, and yes, when you don't need to anymore it's Funner. *winks* We did our pre-paid Burials many Moons ago, Mom and I actually went Coffin Shopping together since The Man thought it to be too morbid, we had a grand time, it was Shopping after all. *Ha ha* I thought I'd bought him one with Oak and Eagles, turns out it was Bronze and Seagulls... mine is an Over The Top Old Gypsy Woman Vision of a last resting spot to make my Family Smile at the Wake... got Roses and a big Ole Virgin of Guadalupe on the Lid, very gaudy and 'Extra', very ME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be glad you dad is staying busy after retirement. Sitting around on one's posterior just watching the grass grow isn't good for anyone. And I agree with Bohemian: your dad would get great satisfaction helping you guys build a shed, so let him! (If that's how you choose to go... the high cost of everything has convinced a lot of people to defer their projects until prices return from the stratosphere.) (They ARE coming back down, right ? Right...?)

    Take care. I got a real kick out of your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your dad on his retirement! And I'll echo the others about letting him help with the shed/room. Believe me, your mom is pleased when he's out of the house. Since The Husband retired I am not getting ANYTHING done around here and it's beginning to show. *sigh*

    That does like a tough puzzle! I just finished one that was a bookshelf with four shelves (the box only showed three) filled with repeating books. I thought I was going to go mad. I had to take it apart section by section so many times that this puzzle is pretty much useless since all the little connecters are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When do you sleep? Maybe you don't. My dad retired from the military and then he retired from his job with the state, but he never quit working.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd take your dad up on his offer. Retirement is a big transition and he will probably love being busy and your company, too.

    Sounds like a huge to-do list! Mine is much smaller but huge to me--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people find retirement great others not so much, my dad found new ways to occupy his time.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...