Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Art Of (Not) Being Busy

Today is my day off.  Which, under normal circumstances means that I would be better off going to work.  But times have been anything less than normal around here, and I am slowly adjusting.

As I sit here, the "bit o' fit" I wear on my wrist says that I have taken 2,989 steps.  A far, far cry from yesterday when the "Congratulations you've reached your 15K step goal!!" joy buzzer, electrocution-style vibration nearly scared the pee out of me as I headed for the grocery store bathroom after work.

The reality is that I have slowed my roll because I have to.  Multiple bone spurs, 4 years of excessive damage to the tendons, and a small hairline fracture, have slowed me considerably.  The main goal is to not damage it any further until the surgery at the end of the month.  Needless to say, the to-do list for today looked a lot like this:

1. Mail out summer camp check
2. Re-Schedule 2nd surgery
3. Clean the fish tank
4. Sign the boys up for summer camp
5. Buy battery for stupid smoke detector that eats batteries every frigging 8 weeks.

Number one was pretty easy, and number 2 has been on going for two weeks since no one would call me back. Number three was actually done yesterday, but sometimes I leave things on my list so I can cross something off right away. True Story.

Any hoo...

Feeling a bit stir crazy, the boys and I headed to their camp to sign them up for the next two weeks. After that I will be out of work, and they will be my nursemaids while I re-cooperate.  They are thrilled let me tell you, but I am far more thrilled at the prospect of not paying $3000 for summer camp while I am sitting home. So, yeah, I went in to enroll them in two weeks of unplugged, face to face, interaction.  And that's when it happened...

... They offered them summer jobs.

Like, 5 days a week, 5 hours a day, paying jobs. For the whole summer.

Five days a week, they will be off the computer. They will not be home messing up the kitchen, or throwing piles of clean laundry on the floor because it was in their way. No wrappers on the counter, recliners left up, radio blaring down stairs, or whining that they are bored.

Five days a week of  Not. Rolling. The. Eyes.

All I have to do is drop them off in the morning, and the husband will drive them home after work.

Then, I can really not be busy.

Not busy cleaning, doing countless loads of laundry, or finding missing shoes.

Not busy nagging about how a person needs to eat to grow, or that the people in the computer aren't really your friends, and that if you go to the pond you can't go past your armpits.

Not busy wracking up fit bit steps following the trail of rice crispy treat wrappers and dirty socks.

It's going to be SO boring...

5 comments:

  1. OOohh... paid jobs for the kids! Now that's awesome. It really is. Work experience but they're going to have fun doing it AND make money while they're at it! That sounds amazing. )

    I'm bored like you right now.
    I've organized my mom cave. Scheduled this and that so all my things are done before surgery.
    I am going to try to (sorry, but I have to say it) squeeze in a mammogram before the surgery, too.

    I have been cooking. Cleaning. Resting up. Preparing to recuperate. Mom cave is stocked with books, movies, art supplies. Blankets and pillows. I will get Eric to hang up curtains this weekend.

    Finishing some curriculum to take to summer camp. I get a perverse joy in seeing what a shitty job the never-worked-a-summer-before-have-zero-clues bunch that Fluffy has brought in.

    And of course looking for a new job.

    Huh. Guess I'm not really bored.

    Heal fast. Feel good soon. Rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What an awesome experience for them. Their first jobs. Good luck being still. You suck at this (I do too, so it's okay).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was how can she be bored with all the books to read and Netflix to binge on. And then I realized, after the first day that will get mighty boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooo cool!!! I think its a win-win situation and really, you won't be bored, you will be recuperating :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great for the boys AND you!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Fresh Starts...

I was given another old trunk by an old friend of my husband. It wasn't in the roughest shape, but it definitely wasn't useable. I b...