Saturday, March 14, 2020

To Quarentine Or Not, That Is The Question...

The thing about the Coronavirus is that we will never know if we overreacted, but if we stand by and do nothing we will know immediately how bad it could be. They closed all of the Colleges here so of course, Oldest is home.  His school will go to remote learning on Wednesday for the remaining 3 weeks of classes.  He learns best in a classroom so it will be a learning curve for sure.

The public schools also closed here, which means Youngest will also be home for at least 2 weeks. I suspect it will be longer.  He will also have to log into his Google classroom account to finish his assignments, which truthfully will take him all of an hour to blow through. He has picked up hours at work as many of the daytime staff can't work now because they have small children home. It works for him, and it keeps him busy which works for me.  It doesn't however, allow him social distancing, which is what everyone is debating on social media now.

When the State declares the shutdown of schools to stop the spread of the virus the idea is that those kids will stay home and ideally their parents as well. Which, to be honest, just won't happen unless you close down everything else.  Being Saturday, technically we aren't even a day into this yet, and already kids are being dropped at the mall to wander for hours. Parents are scheduling sleepovers.  Kids are getting together to hang out in parks, playgrounds, or despite the chilliness, the beach.  And everyone is chiming in about what we should do and what we shouldn't. Do we treat it like a vacation or do we force them into a homeschooling program that the students nor the parents are remotely equipped to deal with? Do we hold up in the house or send them out with a bottle of Lysol and a fishing pole? The scenarios are endless and everyone has an opinion.

As I mentioned two posts before, I am stocked well.  I went out as soon as I knew Oldest was going to be home until August as he'd already eaten though the house.  With a bit of hunting I was able to find everything we needed to feed us for about 10 days.  I've also mentioned, with Youngest working at a grocery, Bonus Son working at a specialty grocery, and the husband and I both working for the Post Office we will all be heading to work regardless, leaving us all in contact with the general public.

So in a family like ours, how does this social distancing thing work exactly?  I am in an office of roughly 60 people, have a route of 650 homes (so around 1,200-2,000 people?), go to the grocery every day and run errands (maybe an additional 50 people) and so, on a good day I there's a high probability that I come in contact with 200 people a day.

Today though, as I said, I've already stocked the house so my daily grocery trips won't happen for a few weeks.  Today's errands were the vet and a drive through oil change so I contacted 4 people total there. I picked up Youngest, but only talked to him, got gas for the car, but wiped the handle before and after pumping. And I had the day off.  So aside from my family I have talked to 4 people today. FOUR.  I did not hide in my house, or go without, but I cut down my number of contact considerably.

Tomorrow is Youngest's birthday and we will be going out to dinner.  We are going early to limit the number of people around us, and taking 3 of his friends. Yes, our contact number will be higher, but again, no where near our 200 average per day.

If I'm speaking honestly, I don't even feel bad about still going out and about. Because I am doing my part in cutting down my contact, without going insane.  Our lives are still going on, and I still want to feel as if I am living it, while making conscious choices to be safer.

And that's the best we can do right now, right?

Well, that, and spare a square if need be.


7 comments:

  1. "...and spare a square..." LOL! So far our effects have been limited to not being able to actually shop online (as the system is too overloaded), not getting everything we wanted (though what we needed is covered), and off an hour early (reg time instead of OT) on Friday. Oh, and our church is online only. We'll see how the coming week goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our public school closure is now until April 6th. All restaurants have gone to take out/delivery only. Downtown is VERY quiet. Times are a changing.

      Delete
    2. Most of the states around us have today shut down bars and many restaurants. When that happens here, the apocalypse is well and truly here.

      Delete
  2. Our governor shut down all public k-12 schools yesterday. I worry about the children that only eat at school - but they are working on a plan for that. I also worry for those that have children but must be at work - the scramble for childcare must be horrifying right now. My company is looking at letting those of us that can work from home - we shall see. Some of us will actually work but I can think of some that will not. We've kept close to the house today and have definitely limited our contact with others. We had lunch out yesterday, but since it was mild opted to eat on the patio since no one else was out there. These coming weeks are going to be rough, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a different mindset for sure. The state just shut down the schools now until April, restaurants are delivery/takeout only (we snuck in under the wire tonight for Youngest's birthday), but all and all it's going to be an adjustment.

      Delete
  3. Our schools are still open at the moment thankfully and thankfulyy no one I am related to have been effected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your spare a square! I might have to steal it with your permission I hope! Schools have not been asked for mandatory closures but each individual school district can decide. A lot here have decided to close. Spring break starts tomorrow. Funny thing is I said schools are closed but day cares will be open. Where will the kids go? Day care if the parents have to work and the kids aren't old enough to be by themselves. I agree precautions need to be taken. I'm just not sure where to draw the line with those. We've fine with supplies and food. I'm more worried about people's panicking about this than the actual virus. I could be wrong and end up dying from the virus but if its God's time for me then so it will be.

    Stay safe out there as you can!!

    Happy birthday to youngest! Shame a milestone birthday has to be celebrated maybe less than it would have been in "normal" times.


    betty

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...