Thursday, March 26, 2020

Today's Mood:

The emotions are certainly all over the place for most of us, and I am no different.

Grateful that we are "essential employees" and will have paychecks coming in.  Many, MANY aren't so lucky.

Fearful that we are "essential employees" because with 3 auto immune diseases and Hub's health also compromised, we are more susceptible.

Helpful because I can sew, and have sewn 104 masks for support staff at our local hospitals, and furious that I even have to do this because of the lack of supplies.

Proud that I can bring medication, food staples, paper products, etc. to those that truly need it, and frustrated that everyone still comes to the mail box to greet me and I have to remind them of the 6 feet rule.

Comforted that Oldest get it, is staying home, engrossed in 5 hours of school work a day, video conferences with friends and the occasional 15  minute outing to the grocery store or bank ATM.

But today, it's depression.  Because despite the warnings, gentle nudging, the yelling, Youngest isn't getting it.  He's been grounded from the car because we can't trust where he's going. We've been to family therapy, it's not helping.  And while he's not as stupid as to be hanging out in large groups, he's still hanging out with his girlfriend and one or two friends. His friend that comes over to work out lives a street over.  They wash down the equipment and wear gloves. He doesn't come in the house. His girlfriend was in Florida for a bit, I'm sure NOT practicing social distancing, and came back.  She was at the house hours later, and of course I had no idea she was here until I got home from work.  At that point whatever cooties she was carting were all over the house. It's been nearly a week since he saw his other friend, which is great because if either of them were sick we'd know by now, but no... he had to make plans to see her today, spreading his cooties as well as the cooties of his girlfriend along with him. He's 18 and I'm out of ideas on how to handle this. He goes to work and argues his points of contact there are way worse than one or two friends. It's like we're all in kindergarten and lost ten minutes of recess, but there's that one kid that keeps acting like a little sh!t and extending the penalty time.

My kid is that kid.

I feel like I've failed as a mother.  I KNOW I raised him better than this. He used to care about others, but now I wonder.  "I think you're overthinking this" is all I get.  I'm not overthinking, it's math.  Basic MATH. It's one thing for us to go to work, where we can calculate the risks, mitigate the hazards as best we can.  But adding extra factors in, that's just stupid.

We are all bored.  (Well, not me, home is my favorite place to be, I can always find a project) We ALL want to hang out. But we CAN'T.  We. Just. Can't.

I ran basic numbers, compared our state to Italy based off population percentages.  Folks, we are 1,600 confirmed cases OVER where Italy was when they did their mandated stay in place. And we are still at a soft lock down here. And this is just our state.  Our state that has hundreds of people coming into it to "vacation" in their summer homes while they quarantine. Our state that can barely handle the residents we have here full time, let alone vacationers.

The feeling that we are doomed is overwhelming today.

And yet, our house has to carry on as if nothing's happening. 

And even worse, our house is carrying on with one person doesn't think anything's happening.








6 comments:

  1. I get it. Mine didn't begin to take this seriously until our governor closed all the restaurants (his main source for food) and non-Essential businesses. Now he is freaking out more than we are...and we are legit freaking out.

    I know you have to work during this pandemic...stay safe. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a hard age to be trapped at home, but you know that. Here, we were "being considered" to go essential, but hasn't happened yet. Apparently it's easier to get kit-sized supplies to individuals than industrial sized supplies to factories, either that or corporate pulled the plug. Of course, our last day when I coulda asked those questions, my sinuses took me down. Laurie is still working at Wal-Mart, and I'm guessing it's prolly for the best in my case. I have a lot of experience with sitting around accomplishing nothing, and Misty and I can still walk, so other than sports, I'm doing ok. Still wish we were essentialled, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people are in your boat or worse. Fingers crossed you can safely get up and working again. The longer this goes the more crippling it will be to recover from. Be safe.

      Delete
  3. My mum has had my nephew Dawson who doesn't understand how serious it is and why he can't go hang with his mates. My brother told him if his nan gets the virus it will kill her to try and make him get it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully we have no elderly or children that live with us, so we can calculate risks and mediate dangers. Our numbers are on the rise as more people get tested. One foot in front of the other I supose.

      Delete
  4. First of all you didn't fail as a mother. These are trying times. I read somewhere long ago that boys don't fully mature brain wise until about 25 years old and they tend to do stupid things until then. Hubby and me were just talking about this the other day. Its hard for kids who are so social to be "banned" from seeing their friends. We knew that we would have to take away the keys to son's car if he was a teen because he would not social distance at all and who knows what other trouble he would get in. Hubby and me talked about how hard it is for parents to try to impress social distancing to their children. We figured if a parent said "no" to friends over, going out etc and the parents were at work would the kids really care and listen? We also said there could be lots of teen pregnancies occurring during this time even if parents are tying to make sure their kids are social distancing. He's a good kid living in times that even mature adults are having trouble dealing with. You can impress things upon him but he is still thinking he and others around him are immortal. Don't think you failed. He is 18. I feel for him and so many others. Their senior year and yet denied all that would come with it. I'm not sure what I would do as a 18 year old. Glad to hear oldest is cooperating and seems to be adjusting with what he has to work with. I appreciate your efforts getting the mail out. I don't think we are doomed. I just thing its going to take time and there will be a turn around. Things will go back to a new normal. Hang in there!!!! This too will pass!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Fresh Starts...

I was given another old trunk by an old friend of my husband. It wasn't in the roughest shape, but it definitely wasn't useable. I b...