Monday, June 22, 2020

Down Time...

Father's day and the husband's birthday came all at once this year. For all he does he only got one day this year to celebrate, and little choice on how to spend it.  My sister has given us family dinners for the last 2 Christmases as her gift.  We call get a calendar with pre-set dates and we meet at her house once a month for dinner.  Corona, of course, has side tracked that since March, but yesterday we assembled at her house for a cookout and much needed get together.

It was great, aside from the diverticulosis flare that started in the morning leaving me unable to eat anything.  The dog didn't come either, as she had been off lately, having little interest in bacon or cheese treats and whimpering occasionally when she puts her weight on her front foot. It was nice to see everyone, despite my discomfort, and even nicer to see Youngest sober for the entire day. I have been seeing tiny steps in a positive direction, nothing I can get my hopes up for, but still positive steps none the less.

I spent last night on the couch, wrapped in my weighted blanket and heating pad to alleviate the pain in my guts. In and out of sleep, I have vague memory of the goings on in the house.  At one point Oldest came in to check on me, asking me questions of Corona.  It seems he's concerned that his recent exploits on the beach have brought home COVID. I assured him he did not.  Youngest was home an hour and a half early and apparently tucked me in, shut off the TV and the lights. I woke up about a half hour later noticing his shoes were here, so I locked up and shut the outside lights off.

This morning has found me virtually fever free which should mean I caught things in time to prevent an infection. The dog's leg seems to be better, as she's chasing her ball around the house like a maniac and begging for cheese once again. Youngest came upstairs sporting an ace bandage on his wrist and several bruises. Apparently there was an incident while he was out on a walk last night, over something he didn't remember, and he's starting to see what we've all been saying.  He says he doesn't want to drink anymore.  That that's not the life he wants to have.  He also declared he's going to figure out what he can do that doesn't involve getting high for fun. He's made plans with some old friends for Thursday. All of which are positive things that I pray he sticks to. Oldest has decided to take a break from drinking on the beach, which is also good. He's also decided to spend more time on himself, eating better, and not looking for a spring fling. While I know he has no major issues with any of this, this summer could easily become a mess of chaos if it's not kept in check. 

Plans are being made for the fourth of July. Housing deposits for college have been paid. Youngest is checking in on his virtual orientations, and Oldest is connecting with college friends and speculating how the new hybrid learning will go. Bonus son is working like crazy, banking the overtime. The husband is on vacation week after next with will do wonders for his mental state.

And, I am getting some much needed down time, even if it's currently under a blanket with a heating pad on my guts.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you managed not getting a diverticulitis flare. Family get togethers are essential these days. Glad you're had one. It is good if Youngest comes to his own conclusions about sobriety and how to have fun being sober. Life is moving ahead well it seems for the moment. Let's hope that continues to be the case!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited about Youngest, I almost forgot to read the rest! It would be so wonderful to learn this lesson this fast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last family get together we had was Mother's Day butI am lucky I have a family thatis close

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things are heading in a more sane direction for your boys. You've gotten them through one hell of a lot... they're so lucky to have you cheering for them and guiding them from the sidelines... ah hell, you're on the field with them! And their REAL dad, too. Referring to the one who's been there for them and for you for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Please take care of yourself. There's only one you and the world would be a poorer place without you in it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...