Friday, January 6, 2023

Week 1....

 New Year's was celebrated by waving Youngest's camper goodbye for good. While I didn't have the extra cash to make it happen, it was worth every penny to have it hauled away. Youngest is now tasked with resolving the other poor choices he's made over the last few months, which, while difficult, do not involve a full toilet holding tank or toxic mold within the walls.

Tuesday was an unexpected day off. The Hubs lost a good friend shortly after Christmas and I had the nagging feeling that I should take the day to see his widow at the wake. Work called at 6 am to let me know my shift was covered and at 730 the phone rang again for my pre-op anesthesia phone call.  Turns out, I needed blood work, an EKG, and a clearance note from my doctor before I head into surgery on the 23rd. After some hectic scrambling, I managed to get some appointments scheduled to ensure I will be in compliance within the week. Later that night my niece and I headed to a brewery nearly two hours away to learn how to shape, plant, and grow bonsai trees. And you know what? As tired as I was, it was totally worth it.



Our New Year's Resolution is to keep them alive.  I ordered a grow light, planted the left-over cuttings, and scheduled myself for another class, much closer to home with my work peeps. Accountability friends. Accountability is key. 

Wednesday I was back to work. They restructured our pay nationwide, and most of the routes gained 2-3 hours of pay per week. I did not.  I understand the reasoning, but it's frustrating. The hope is that since I didn't get the increase, when they restructure again in March, I will not feel the loss as hard. Fingers crossed.

Thursday the electrician, that we have been trying to get to the house for 15 months now, finally came to wire the generator plug to the panel. Mind you, it only took her 3 weeks to come, but we have waited 15 months with 3 other electricians and finally, finally, it is done. So now, in the event we lose power, we will still have heat, the fridge and deep freezer, and the all-important ability to charge phones and watch, albeit antenna, television. 

Friday so far has been uneventful, aside from a text in the wee hours of the morning from Youngest; Thanks for being nice to me today.  

The sun is supposed to return sometime this weekend, ending the 4-day run of rain and drizzle.  Still better than snow, and way better than 20-degree temps. We've got a birthday party for my second cousin this weekend. He's two. It's at a brewery. Should be fun. 

Not a bad first week of 2023.  We're moving slow, not making any loud noises, and (hopefully) quietly rolling into week two. Stay tuned...

10 comments:

  1. A good start to the year - which I hope continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be tempted to jump into the room with the tree and yell bonsai although I like BONZAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII with a Z more. Probably scare the poor tree to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very busy and productive week! I love the bonsai tree. And I am cheering for your electrician success. It is SO HARD to get people to come into the house to do work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been fascinated with bonsai, but not enough to try it. Will be interested to see how you do such a thing.
    Sounds like a good start to the year!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very productive week! I love the bonsai tree but I love the candle next to it even more! What does it smell like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lavender. It was a Mother's Day gift from Youngest. Like we discussed on the last post... he just gets me. :)

      Delete
  6. I wish we could keep plants in the house but one of the cats likes to eat them and then yark them up in the middle of the night. I'm looking forward to my outdoor garden again in the spring, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time you tell a story about work, I bless the day my nephew and I saw the long line at the Post Office testing site and went home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all bad. I have customer's that have the last name of Johns. I just discovered that their dog's name is Elton. It's the little things...

      Delete
  8. Your Bonzai is lovely and glad the Class was worth attending. I admire Bonzai but doubt I could keep one alive for as long as it would take for it to be magnificent. Well, also, Time, I doubt I have Immortality in my Future and Raising a Bonzai to a magnificent Maturity would probably take more Years than I have left? *LOL* I do hope restructuring at your Work pays off for you too, I dumped all my permanent Shifts at the Antique Mall and find myself not too eager to fill in and accept Shifts anymore, I just don't have it in me. Perhaps a real Retirement is in my Future? *winks* As for allowing Adult Children to sort out their own shit and their own damage control, well, does that EVER end? I think not.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...