Saturday, May 2, 2020

Faking It...

The sun came out today.

Which seems ridiculous to say, since it comes up everyday, but today it was OUT.  It was shining. The car dash reported it was 70 degrees. It felt awesome.

With so many gray and rainy cold days here, to have a stretch of 6 with very little drizzle in sight seems unfathomable, but welcome.  I have been grabbing outside things, 3 packs of tulips & daffodils, petunias, potting soil, mulch, etc. on trips out for necessities.  Slowly hoarding them for when the weather turned. Our state is still in lockdown mode, so getting these things is proving challenging if I want to have minimal contact with people.

Today was the day it would all go to use.  The husband ripped out the rhododendron out front.  With the removal of the trees in the yard, and the bad trim I gave it a few years back, it just never recovered.  We replaced it with a rebellious hydrangea which had just planted itself randomly in the garden a few years back.  It was tough to get out of his current home and into it's new one, and if it doesn't make it that's okay.  It didn't cost us a dime.

We planted the flowerbeds with white wave petunias, a random royal blue tiny creeping flower I found, and if I can get lucky enough to find them, I'll add some black petunias as well in a week or two.  School colors for the boy. A show of solidarity and celebration for the Seniors this year, since there will be no parties to speak of.  The husband was busy while I was at work as he also removed and cleaned all of the window boxes.  I'm thinking simple potato vines and dark coleus, just keep it simple.  With no trees, the full sun is tough on them.

We wait for Monday when a decision will be made for graduation. Third term closed for the year and so far Youngest has gotten a PASS in 3 classes of his seven, which is good.  The rest have not posted.  I am sad and frustrated that we do not know what will happen or if the date will be moved, as I need to give work as much notice as possible, and the summer Saturdays are filling up quick. But I respect the decision of the superintendent to tell NO ONE before the Seniors, not even the teachers.

So for now, I am going along as if it's all going to be okay.  I need to feel normal.  I ordered Youngest some College swag... a sweatshirt, and decals for the car.  All the things he would have had already if his accepted student day had not been cancelled last month. I *adopted* a random Senior from his class to treat with special surprises from now to graduation.  I do not know her, but she's heading to Oldest's college, so I ordered her some swag as well and am working on a fun pillow for her dorm. This way I can celebrate someone else from a distance, without knowing their struggle.  I put Youngest up for adoption as well, and he was picked within the hour by another mom I do not know.  I am excited to see what comes his way. I just want to celebrate him as my son, not as all of the things I shouldn't be celebrating about him right now, which is what I'm telling the husband when he makes off handed comments, or jokes that aren't funny anymore.  I just need to celebrate how far he's come and not the challenges we're facing.  My husband just isn't getting that.

Oldest, on the other hand, opted to not take the PASS/FAIL option for second semester. His grades have posted already.  He got a 3.57 and made the Dean's list.  I seriously can not be prouder. With the change in weather he's actually talking about normal things as well. Taking the kayaks out on the pond.  Going for ice cream. Going back to the dorms in the fall.

Normally my mantra is Face It 'Til You Make It.  Because only when we face our demons can we truly overcome them.  But right now, faking it seems to work just fine.  Our demons are unpredictable and undetermined and they are hard to face down.

So this week, we're faking it.  And that's just fine for me.

6 comments:

  1. It seems like while you're dealing with having to go to work as usual through this time that things in your personal life should all be easy and smooth. Not sure where you can file the complaint, though.

    We transplanted a ton of stuff (by we I mean my husband and our son) about 10 years ago. Everything except for one lace leaf maple survived. It's been amazing to see the growth and how pretty everything is.

    I saw the coolest flower things this week, hang on and I'll see if I can locate a link.

    Ah,here you go... https://homebnc.com/best-spilled-flower-pot-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of 'faking it', I might term it, 'easing back towards normal'. Sometimes that's all you can ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is, we aren't easing back in. The state's still on lockdown until at least the 18th. So everything I'm doing is just to tread water until we have a better plan.

      Delete
  3. We - and by "we" I mean "me" - also have been out in the yard while the weather is glorious and not too hot. That's my one silver lining - being able to actually enjoy the spring.

    We do what we have to in order to get through. Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it was therapeutic working outside in your nice temperatures! Sounds like you will have lots of lovely colorful things growing! That was nice with the adopt a senior program at your youngest's school! Made me think of Secret Santa with a cute twist to it to bring a little bit of "joy" to what is not a normal senior year. I saw on a Facebook page here that I follow that some kids from where we used to live in Prescott, Arizona went to the courthouse square and socially distancing shared a pizza in their prom dresses. I imagine it was the night of their prom. I hope Youngest will be able to have a graduation ceremony in person close to the actual date he would have graduated had this not been locked down. I think that would bring more closure than waiting to further down the summer.

    Congrats on Oldest for his grades!! I'm glad he's looking ahead with summer plans like kayaking.

    Let us know what the school decides to do about graduation.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some times people need to fake it till it's real maybe even me at times

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...