Sunday, February 13, 2022

Escape To The Garage...

 The Hubs and I have been slightly obsessed with the TV show Escape To The Chateau, which is a British show in which an English couple buys a French chateau and renovates it. There is also a complimentary show called DIY, where the cameras follow other couples that have done the same.  There are hours of shows to watch, and we find the narration and subject matter quite calming.  I suspect best part for Hubs is that unlike other home renovation shows, it's unlikely that I'll be asking for a walled garden this spring, and, despite my best efforts, it's unlikely I'll be successful at installing a moat, sans gators, around our tenth of an acre estate.

Lately there's been much discussion regarding the Husband's shed, as we've discovered it will cost less to build one than to buy pre-fab. Where will it go?  How big? Lean to? Free standing? The list has been endless.  As have the other things that cost money, so we've curtailed the actual build until Fall. The other day I while watching The Chateau I was sketching up ideas and told the Hubs "I think we could make a turret shed off the corner of the garage.  It won't go over our septic, and it would look great all landscaped in."



He rolled his eyes.

Youngest: Wait. We're installing a turret on the garage? Like a machine gun turret?

Me: No, like a castle tower turret.

Enter Oldest: Wait, we're getting a turret? *makes machine gun gestures*

Me: What is wrong with you people?  It's a tower, and it would look beautiful and not take up a ton of space.

Hubs: *continues to roll eyes*

Oldest: Here me out, you build the tower and then we put the machine gun on top.

Me, knowing the engineer won't let this go: Ok, you can install a super soaker on top.

Oldest: But wait! There's more! We can make it so it has a water supply, like the hose, so it will constantly fend off attackers.

Me: We have attackers?

Oldest: Wait.... ooooo... we could make it so it automatically fires water back and forth and waters the lawn!

Maybe I'll have him help me with that moat idea. 

And in case you're wondering, Hubs is still rolling his eyes.

5 comments:

  1. I admit, I had to look up what a machine gun turret would look like. Interesting conversations at your house :) Almost a comedy type routine! But it was nice all got into the spirit of things, including hubby and his eye rolls :) Do let us know what you eventually do build, but I do like your design of the turret. I think it would look cool! I never have heard of that TV show. Is it on cable or can it be streamed somehow?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big smiles. We often watch Escape to the Country too. The mystery house particularly is often beautiful. A girl can dream. A girl should dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband rolls his eyes at just about everything I suggest lately. That conversation sounds exactly like one we would have when Man-Child still lived here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "water the yard" idea! That would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...