Tuesday, June 8, 2021

On The Lighter Side....

I've been working an excessive amount of OT lately. The end goal is money for our vacation so that if something comes up I can, without hesitation, say yes.  Hot air balloon ride? Yes please. Fancy smancy dinner out? Yup. Room service because sometimes you just have to be lazy? Hell yes. 

We leave for San Francisco in two-ish months.  Two and a half days there, then road tripping to Santa Cruz for another two days. We plan to travel the pacific coast highway for the best scenes, stop in Big Sur, hit some touristy stuff in San Fran, see the redwoods and Salsalito, and take in the virtual immersive Van Goh exhibit for which we have already secured tickets. It's a lot, but I have 4 days off when we get back to rest up.  It will be nice to get away as a family again, and to celebrate our tenth anniversary.

Ten years. Crazy.  Doesn't feel like a day over 30 years.

On my rare day off a month (aside from Sundays) I've been catching up with my Mom, and meeting friends for lunch.  It's nice to have some one to talk with that is going through more or less the same struggles with their kids that I am. Things ebb and flow with Youngest and it's exhausting.  Oldest is gone 11 hours a day and on weekends his butt is planted firmly in a chair on the beach. It's nice being a quarter mile from the ocean. Youngest prefers the pond, as he's more free to be himself without getting arrested. At least for now. 

For me, the backyard is becoming my sanctuary. 





Hubs does a great job at keeping everything alive for me.  So good in fact we spent much of Sunday morning before the heat rolled in  splitting, thinning, and repotting all kinds of plants for my friend from work. 

As for work, we are currently in the middle of a heat wave..... 

Meanwhile... in the mail truck....

Thankfully I am training so while my days are longer in the office, my road time is shorter. The heat is supposed to break tomorrow night which is good, because I feel like my insides have been thoroughly cooked through. My trainee is doing well, but it is still mentally challenging to be training for weeks at a time. And because I am not an official trainer I literally get nothing for my efforts other than knowing she is properly trained. My old substitute, that I adore, is making career and has requested to come back to my route, so this new trainee won't even carry for me aside from a week or two.  If management listens to me, she'll then move to another vacant route to train, and she'll likely stay on as his permanent sub. It's unlikely they will listen to my suggestions though, as there's a huge disconnect between management and staff.  The postmaster has been investigated twice for mistreatment of the employees.  Its' getting scary folks.  Like, really concerning.

My niece and I are touring two more colleges in three weeks.  At this point I think we are just visiting to visit, as I believe she may have found her happy place with our first tour.  It's also the cheapest one, which makes her parents happy.  I still can't believe she's almost 18, and going into her senior year. especially since I'm not aging, Not. One. Bit.

And lastly, the heat has brought out the swimmer in the girl. Once afraid of the water, if not watched carefully she now runs in full boar during our walks, stopping short of getting her head wet. Which is so funny to watch, not so funny to smell or wash out when we get home.  

Pond water + triple coats of husky hair = a special funky smell. 


Wait... is that a squirrel?

There's a good sniff over here...

And here...

Since last weekend the pond has been packed.  It's nice to get a few moments at night when there's almost no one around.  But it does provide for many, many good, highly distracting, sniffing spots.

And with that, I am off to eat dinner, before the chaos begins again.  

9 comments:

  1. I hope your heat breaks. Soon.
    Love your garden, envy the Van Gogh exibition, and if you get a chance to go up in a hot air balloon, do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hot air balloon ride on my list, not going to lie. I just want to know it's a go (weather wise) before I do it, as it's a lot of money. Youngest would be the only one willing to go with me. It would ironically be the only time I ever get "high" with him. LOL!

      Delete
  2. The Vacay sounds fun filled and exhaustive, you'll come back refreshed and tired I'm sure, which is just what a proper Vacay should feel like. Wait 'til you've been Married over 30 Years, you'll say you would have served less Time for Murder... well, that's what The Man says anyway. *Smiles* Happy Anniversary and may you have many more! I'd like to hit the Beach, I think it would be therapeutic and Zen... it won't happen this Season tho', alas, I'll have to live vicariously thru your Adventures Online when you return and regale us with the Journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I burn pretty badly, so my trips to the ocean are via dog walking later in the day, and the pond provided I can get some shade. I have no idea how my kids can go all day, apply sunscreen only twice, and come home with a glowing tan.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like quite a vacation!
    Happy anniversary!
    Have fun with your niece.
    Wet dog is a unique smell and not my favorite, either--LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. It will be quite the whirlwind for sure.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! That heat wave sounds like every Texas summer I've ever known - not fun. Hope it breaks (or hopefully, has already broken!) Your backyard looks like a lovely sanctuary to spend time in.

    Happy Anniversary! And I can't wait to hear all about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No heat wave here in fact it is bloody cold and today is also wet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you will have such a wonderful time for your trip! The beauty of it all will be amazing (I'm assuming you haven't seen it before or have you?) Its been years since I did that particular travel but certainly it is worth remembering! Is everyone going? Ride a cable car for me! (If they are running).

    It seems like I've been following your blog for a bit (since we lived in Southern California and that was at least 7 years ago) so you and your hubby must have been relative newlyweds at the time.

    So miserable if it is 108 in the mail truck! Makes for a long day! Lets hope it cools down soon.

    Such beautiful flowers you are growing!

    Have to laugh Alaska might not like to fetch but she sure likes swimming (Winslow is not fond of our pool :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...