Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Week 40?

Why do you want to do this to yourself?

Because if I can do this, I can do anything.


Oldest, despite his ADHD, once focused, is unstoppable.  

He toyed with working out and going to the gym like many teens in high school. Some things stuck with him, others did not. The food part was always a struggle for him, as it is for most of us.

About a year ago he started to train with a guy he met at the gym, who was, and is, considered one of the best natural body builders in the state. The training was short lived as that level of trainer is too expensive for a broke college kid. Through that connection though, he reconnected with an old friend who had also done some competitions, and the journey started. 

The workout started about a year ago. Regimented and extremely structured.

The food part started 6 months ago.  Every calorie counted.  Marcos, micros, fat grams.  Everything is weighed and portioned.  There would be no ice cream dates, no favorite restaurants, no pizza. 

Two months ago, the calorie restrictions started. The crankiness set in.  Hangry had a whole different meaning in this house. Down to about two percent body fat, he was hard to look at.  Hubs shot videos of his poses every day and sent them to his coach, every inch of his body scrutinized. I worried honestly. He thought I wasn't being supportive. I couldn't understand why he would do this to himself on purpose. And when it was all done, then he had to start the meticulous process of getting his metabolism back to his original "factory settings". It. Was. Crazy.

Because if I do this, I can do anything.

This past weekend I opted to take my holiday, forgo the much-needed double time I'd earn at work, and headed down for the competition. I may not like the journey he's been on, but I sure as hell was not going to be accused of being unsupportive, nor would I miss his debut on stage. Turns out, aside from the unnatural spray tans, it was far less weird and awkward than I thought it would be. 

He placed, 3rd and 5th in Classic Physique.


Anything indeed.

7 comments:

  1. Well done to your boy. Not a journey I could take, but he stuck to it. And well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how difficult that would be. Way too much work for me. Amazing focus, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's impressive and difficult to do. My former daughter-in-law trained and did some competitions for a few years. She looked amazing. It's great that you went. It would have been difficult for me to show up. It's nice to know that it wasn't too weird once you were there.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something I have never understood, either, but he is obviously into this right now and doing well with it. Different strokes and all that. Takes a tremendous amount of discipline. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Body Building isn't something I understand and don't think body builders look attractive in fact most are in my opinion yuck looking but that's just me some like the look and he stuck with it and got there in the end far more discipline then we had

    ReplyDelete
  6. When he said you weren't being supportive; he did not realize that you were looking at him with a mother's eye. A mother's eye sees that he is obsessing over food (or lack thereof) and that he might be too thin or maybe he is overdoing it with the weights (too heavy and bad for his back) - these are the things they don't realize are the thoughts running through our heads; but that doesn't make you unsupportive - it makes you a mom. And that's what moms do...worry.

    BUT! His discipline is admirable and shows him that yes, if he can do that - he can, in fact, do anything. And that opens up the world to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn, dude! To each their own. My great presentation was my new floppy hat, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...