Saturday, October 24, 2020

Welcome To Hell, I Seem To Have Forgotten My Handbasket....

If I have 2 apples and the husband has 7 apples, I have the least amount of apples.  But that doesn't mean I don't have apples, it just means I have less apples. Someone really need to explain this to the president.  Saying he's the least racist person in the room, is admitting he's a racist. How no one on his team has explain this to him is amazing to me.

We voted already.  And when I say we, I mean myself, Oldest and Youngest.  We took a Sunday morning, looked up every platform of each candidate running, and made educated decisions based off our ideals.  Some were were aligned with, some we were not, but we voted. I promptly gave our ballots to the city carrier at work who delivers to the town hall so I know it was received the very next day.

The husband proclaimed he will be going in full hazmat suit on election day if need be, or he will come to his senses and early vote tomorrow at the town hall.  My money's on the latter.  He's not a fan of people lately.  He is however, feeling MUCH better.  It took 3 weeks to get the inflammation down around his heart and lungs, but he is definitively on the mend.

This whole election thing has gotten out of control, and we're not in a swing state.  We literally have lines of supporters of both parties on opposite sides of the streets downtown.  Today while I was trying to get out of a side road to deliver to my next box 15 feet away, an organized car parade was going by.  

They saw me. 

They could have easily let me go.  

They did not.

Thirty cars later someone let me out, I got to the box, and then I sat for another 30 cars. Finally someone flashed their lights, which I thought was my sign to go.  

Nope.

Car after car they swerved into oncoming traffic to get around me, until it's clear they can't without risking death, and then for the next mile I am now part of the parade, in the Postal truck, lights flashing for delivery, until I get to the neighborhood I turn off into. The entire time people are beeping at the parade, swearing at them, flipping them the bird. It was hostile. Ugly. Nerve wracking.

Not the way to get votes.  

Not. The. Way. 

I'm praying for y'all in the swing states. 

Those of you who have to walk through the lines of political stumpers. 

I'm not good at confrontation.

And yet I think that's all we have now.

God help us all.


11 comments:

  1. I am in a swing state and we are absolutely besieged with political ads, flyers, etc. I'm so ready for it be over. I saw a car parade yesterday and I am sad to report that all the signs etc. were so demeaning and ugly to anyone who doesn't follow their ideals. I voted by mail earlier this month - based on the ballot tracker I know that they have received and accepted it. The Husband and Man-Child voted early. So we've done our bit.

    I'm glad to hear Tony is doing so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubs voted this morning. Had he NOT gone at 10am, he'd not have had to wait an hour to get through the line... on a SUNDAY no less. Regardless, I was able to get some shopping done while he was there and swung back by the Town hall right as he got out.

      And I may have spoken too soon. Today he's back to tightness in his chest. Funny, he spent the whole day with me, maybe it's me????

      Delete
  2. Voting is good I always vote but then voting is compulsory here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know it was law there. Interesting. How do they enforce it? Is there a fine if you don't?

      Delete
  3. I hope hubby continues to be on the bend and doesn't have any setbacks along the way. We are in a swing state. We voted early yesterday like at 9 a.m. right when it opened and already there were people there. It was very clean to do so; I wrote about it before but they sanitize everything after use. You get a pen at the beginning that you use to sign your name and then its the same pen you use for voting and then it is returned to be sanitized for the next use. Everything is wiped down after use and a separate entrance/exit door. Now I wish I didn't have to be subjected to the ads for the next week and so.

    What is interesting at work is we have gotten 2 ballots. One was in return mail "unable to forward" and another was a completed ballot that should have gone done to Pima County (we are in Maricopa County) and came to the unemployment office. I hope those were randoms and not what is going to be happening over the next week.

    Interestingly, the neighbors next door put up a Biden/Harris sign. The people catty corner to them across the street put up a Trump/Pence sign. I'll let you figure out what sign is missing.

    We have taken precautions just in case afterwards it gets more uglier than it is now. Stacked up on several weeks' worth of supplies, etc. Came up with safety plans. Its sad we have to think that way (and I know we aren't the only ones thinking this way).

    I don't engage too many politically but did reach out to a dear friend on why she was choosing to vote the way she did. If she could justify her vote as I know I can justify my vote. That was a week ago and after her initial "let me get my thoughts on paper" I haven't heard from her again. I know she hasn't written me off as our lives are entangled in ways that aren't simple and one can't simply "unfriend" them on Facebook, not that I would with her, but wondering the future direction of our friendship. Time will tell I guess.

    In the meantime, soon one way or another it will be over and we will see if either party can live out to what they say they will do and will we be greater off than we were 4 years from now than we are today? And how will the historians in 100 years write this chapter of our nation's history?

    Be safe!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the local ballots that we are picking up in mailboxes, getting out of blue collection boxes, and going over the counter, our office is starting to pull them directly and tubbing them for the Town Hall directly. So basically, they will never see a machine to be misdirected. They will go straight to the town hall for the next week without any complications.

      Hubs voted this morning (it took an hour in line, on a SUNDAY!)

      Delete
  4. I'm voting in person on election day. For no great revolutionary reason, just because I want to. End of my part there. While the President may have his unflattering phraseology, I would point out his opponent just announced he had the best "voter fraud organization" in the nation's history. Obviously what we need is a new Calvin Coolidge- not because of his policies, but because he was silent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. Although, I'd point out that of the four Presidents my Great Grandfather was secret service for, he liked Coolidge the least. Said he was "boring". :)

      Delete
    2. Always loved that story about the lady at a party who came up and said she bet her friends that she could get him to say more than to words. He answered, "You lose."

      Delete
  5. We get our ballots in the mail and can mail them back, but I always deliver them to a collection box at the local library.

    I'm definitely not going to wait, mine goes back tomorrow. Filling it out as we speak, actually. NO on all tax measures, and NO to certain shitbags who have no business being in office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I couldn't have given to the carrier for the town hall, I would have brought them to the drop box, just to be sure. It's so important this year in particular, even if it takes weeks to properly count.

      Delete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...