Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Give Me A Bit Of Credit....

 There's big ta-dos with the government "forgiving" $10K worth of federal loans beginning in December of this year. The right says it's too much; the left says it's not enough.  When in reality it just stirred the pot on an already bubbling over problem of the higher education debacle. Perhaps they should have eliminated federal interest payments or offered the 10K to middle income families as a retroactive grant.  Either way, the politicians have found another way to divide the masses over it. 

College, the pursuit as well as the concept of it, has exponential flaws. Most of which I'm not going to get into. The cost of college is out of control, but so is gasoline, food, and everyday living. That's never going to change, too many hands in it and all. Most of the people yelling the loudest have never used federal aid of taken a loan for college costs. It's a trillion-dollar industry that's not going away until the little people stop playing the game.

But that's not what this post is about.

I have three that will benefit from this forgiveness.  One son has faithfully paid for 8 years.  In opting in, he will have the last few thousand removed from his dept load, and pay state taxes on what he's forgiven. When you consider that he paid off his principal balance 5 years ago, and all that's left for the remaining 12 years of his loan is interest payments, it doesn't really seem like too much of a free-be now does it?  But nonetheless, he will participate in the program. 

Oldest will take the money as well, because it's 10K off his six-figure debt load that will commence for payments in August of 2023. Even with paying the state taxes on 10K extra in "income" this year, it's still cheaper in the long run for him. 

Youngest is where it gets tricky.  He's stopped going to school, so his federal debt is relatively low. He had planned to begin payments last year and use the remainder of the loan as a low interest (albeit compounded interest) way of building his non-existent credit. Of course, now if he opts in, he won't be able to do that, as well as have to pay taxes on it this year.  If he opts out of the forgiveness plan, he'll pay around 3K and can claim it as a tax credit. Credit cards are not a great idea for him at this point in his life. Almost no banks offer simple interest loans anymore, and because he has no credit, if he could find one, would likely need a co-signer. If by some miraculous chance he was approved on his own, he'd be paying upwards of 18% interest. On a 5K minimum loan that would be $900 just to build his credit. This equates out to around $21 per credit point, which is crazy.

Thing is in our house, each son must have/had a plan on how to be self-sufficient by 25. 

Bonus son moved from his apartment to our basement, paid us a "mortgage" each month, that became his down payment for his condo. He signed on the dotted line at age 25 and four months, and since he'd already been paying us, his financial budget was already set to accommodate his mortgage payment. He just turned 28 and actually has money in savings after his bills are paid.

Unless some massive opportunity comes his way, Oldest already has a job offer with a company close to home after graduation.  His plan is to move home for 2 years and pay off all his debt, so he can then be free to find a place of his own without the noose of school debt around his neck.  He too will pay a "rent" in line with rents here, he and I will consult of the best ways to funnel that into the fastest payoffs for his loans, and when the time comes his budget will already be set to afford to live independently. He knows it will suck for those two years, but he also knows it's what he needs to do to be able to live the life he wants later.

Youngest, who is flying by the seat of his pants, still needs a plan. Despite his having a Roth IRA that's maxed out, substantial long- and short-term stock investments, and a hefty savings account, twenty-five will come faster than he thinks. We've begun working on his credit so that when the time comes, he can buy a car (with payments), condo, or really good tent because he can't live here. We went to the bank yesterday to discuss the credit building options. The banker, with ten years in the industry, had few options for him that weren't credit cards. All of her information, I piggy backed with my own, and catered it to his bottom line.  At one point in the conversation, when Youngest started asking about national average investment returns to offset his compounding interest rates, she blank faced looked at him and told him he was "way over her head". 

*sigh*

This is what happens when you bring a legit mathematical genius to the local bank. When we left, he looked at me and said, "She gave me a lot of good things to think about", as if I hadn't just been there when she said to him "I think your mom knows more about this than I do" and offered me a job.

So yeah, now we're looking into credit builder loans.  They offer a savings type of structured payments, so the interest is actually earned, but the payments are reported to your credit bureaus. I also added him onto the back end of my credit card as an authorized user.  Mind you the card will be cut up as soon as it arrives, but he can piggyback on my credit for a bit until he gets established.

And all this has left me kind of discouraged honestly.  The whole system is rigged against any independence for the regular 18-year-old. Their options, unless they have a VERY savvy parent, is to build credit with a credit card which has long been proven to be a bad idea, take out a compounded interest student loan with the parent as a co-singer, or succumb to the highest of interest rates for a car loan. It's crazy cakes. I spoke to my sister about it, as my nephew has no plans to go to school and thought maybe it would be something she could talk with him about. She said, no, he'd have to learn it on his own. As if she's not helping his older sister by cosigning her life away on student loans already. This, my friends, is why I make sure my nephew knows he can come to me. My sister loves my nephew but, she, like so many parents, just doesn't understand.

I think the best take away though was when I was sitting aside him at the bank, discussing credit card interest rates compounding daily, and what that actually means, and he sarcastically replied....

So glad they taught me this in school.

5 comments:

  1. God knows, that made my head hurt! We had to re-up our car loan after 3 months to get a better rate, because we, having both been through bankruptcy don't USE credit. Which makes no sense to me. You have to be good at sinking into debt to get credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. It makes a lot of heads spin. It's just such a shame, so many ways to get into the trillion dollar debt cycle and no one advocating to keep them out. Crazy.

      Delete
  2. Big, big sigh. How I feel for those youngsters who don't have parents as engaged as you, and as savvy as you. Sadly I fear that they are in the majority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really say much about the forgiveness of $10,000 in student loan debts because no one I know currently has any student loans that may or may not need to be forgiven. I do know years ago we took out a student loan for $10,000 to help my hubby finish his degree and paid it back $130 a month for 10 years. I know sometimes young ones can get caught making stupid mistakes with credit. Whether or not a student loan is one of those, I'm not really sure. Seems like you are knowledgeable so much more so than I am with these things and have come up with good plans to get your boys to be self sufficient by the age of 25. I won't say whether or not that has been accomplished here in our household :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you blog admin for this wonderful post,As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS & Gastro Disorder and herpes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my everything and the symptoms were terrible, she always complained of heavy menstruation, and she always had difficulty falling asleep . We tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and I saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who has the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and he has herbal cure for Herpes,HIV/Aids,Diabetes,Neuro Disease,Cancer,Back Pain,COPD,Parkinson, and other disease you can visit Dr Itua herbal center website to read more www.drituaherbalcenter.com or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Dullards? Dullster? It's All Quite Mundane, Really.

 Facebook's algorithms have suggested that I might like the social groups Dull Women and Dull Men of Face Book.  Apparently you can be a...