Sunday, July 23, 2023

Week 29...

Youngest 7pm:  I'm headed out to longboard.

Me: State Forest?

Y: Nope. Service Road.

Me: Good choice, it's getting dark and the bear sightings are really multiplying. You should be okay down there though, there's only been one sighting down that way.

Twenty minutes later, the local PD puts out an alert via the book of faces:

Bear sighting on service road, PD and department of Natural Resources in route, avoid the area.

I sent Youngest a text, which given that I have android and he has apple, I have no idea he's read. By midnight, when he still has not returned, I send another all good? text, to which I still get no answer. One thirty am he rolls in...

Me: Dude. I thought you were a bear snack. What the hell?

Y: My bad. We didn't see him though, but we did look for him.

*sigh* And still, it's not the most dangerous thing he's done in the last few years. 

Otherwise, this week's been a series of small technological challenges.  

First, Youngest's phone suddenly stopped charging.  We tried different cords, outlets, plugs, and nothing.  Brought it to the phone place and it charges right up. We bought a new block and now it's fine, but all the other things are charging with the old cords/blocks, so I have no idea what happened there other than shelling out $21.

We have an electronic keypad on the back door. Over the years it's been easier than everyone carrying keys. For a few days I heard random beeping like someone was coming in, but no one was home but me.  Youngest was sitting at the table and saw the lock actually turn itself to the locked position, and then unlock again. Freaked him right out.  New batteries seemed to fix it for now, but the other batteries weren't that old to begin with. 

The light on the fridge that's been out for three years is suddenly working again. And the door randomly opens. The brand-new dish washer didn't start when I know I hit the button, but then starts perfectly a hour later. Radio stations changing in the car. There's more, mostly small stuff, weird and annoying. If something's not in retrograde I'm gonna need a ton of sage and patience.

When I'm not dealing with the undead or hunting bears, I've been working on small craft projects. Youngest's steamer trunk is coming along, today I did the gold leaf details on the latches while the cat gold leafed herself, so that was fun. Hubs and I also picked up a bunch of mahogany planks someone was giving away for free, so tomorrow's project is rebuilding the missing tray for it from that. Youngest is thrilled with how it's coming out, and I'm secretly loving that he's involved in the process.

That's all for now, pictures to follow as projects get done.

As long as technology cooperates.


8 comments:

  1. Those are some weird doings. I'm glad your boy wasn't bear food. I can't wait to see how the steamer trunk turns out. I know it will be great.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to the pictures of your projects.
    Those techno challenges would do my head in.
    And as soon as youngest came through the door I would have stopped worrying and immediately been furious at him Glad he was safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bears scare me, thankfully they don't do well in a Desert. But, we do have plenty of other scary critters. Tech challenges make my Head hurt, I bought a new TV which has Three Remotes to turn the damned thing on and I need a Kid or Grandkid to do it for me... le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I thought when I read about your mysterious happenings was ghosts. Must be an older man going through the house making sure things are working right. But then again, when has a man ever turned on a dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poltergeists seem to love all things electrical. Maybe it is easier to mess with energy than to move solid objects--lol! But they manage to do that, too. The door lock would bother me, though.
    Glad Youngest wasn't bear food, but wish he'd answer his texts!
    Can hardly wait to see the trunk!! Free mahogany planks--what a find!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a haunted house which isn't bad but can be creepy and frustrating, I would wonder if what happened was the ghost or something else like a breeze. Ghosts don't bother me just after my dad died our TV would change channels to the history channel which was dad's go to channel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids not answering texts make me crazy! Especially, when I know darn good and well that things is practically glued to his hand. I'm very glad that Youngest did not become a bear snack!

    Can't wait to see the finished project! Your projects are always so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I have some bad tech days- especially at work- but if all that started happening, I'd be out. Seriously, my first move would be to rip out that lock panel and install a Daniel Boone style drop it in the latch beam.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...