Saturday, September 19, 2020

Disconnection...

Hubs and I watched The Social Dilemma tonight.  

It's a Netflix Documentary, and if you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch.  

Be prepared to be sick to your stomach. 

Even though I knew all of the things they were saying, it still hits home every time I see yet another documentary about social media's influence over our life. In truth, the only social media I have is the book of faces.  While my social media circle is small, in all honestly, it could and should be paired down by about 80%.  I don't have FB messenger on my phone.  I have to wait until I get home to see what someone wants to say to me privately. I have paired it back so much, and yet, I still feel terrible.

While it may seem petty, right now I am having a hard time with how well my friends kids are doing in collage. (I mean I love them, and am happy for them, but I still struggle with it) Or seeing the family weekends planned.  I am still mourning my hopes that College would have been the key to Youngest branching out and becoming who he wanted to be.  I am still aching for Oldest who  desperately wants to be on campus for the whole college experience this year and can't. There are no family weekends to visit planned this year, no spring break trips, or internships abroad. It's a loss and I'm having a hard time processing.

I can't take seeing the posts about people being broke and wanting to get back to work so badly, yet I am delivering three, five, seven packages a day to their doorstep.  I don't care who's birthday it is, or how badly you don't want to go to the store because people are crazy, and I definitely don't want to see that new diamond ring you're sporting just because.  Petty?  Yes.  But I'm over it.

I am struggling with all of the "homeschool" posts.  Yes, it's hard to be a parent and teacher.  Yes, the new formats suck. But imagine how tough it is to be in 3rd grade and having to fight for focus at the kitchen table with 4 dogs and 2 cats rolling about, at a table filled with this morning's breakfast dishes and random stacks of mail. Your kid will never be successful in a difficult situation if you don't make that space just for them. And for the love of God, stop yelling and complaining about it.  Your children feed off your reactions. If you hate it, they will too.

I'm tired of the polarizing political posts. 

And while I'm totally down with God and Jesus, I'm not going to share your picture, say AMEN, or do anything with your come to Jesus post. I am human, and the big guy and I have some things we are working through right now, and I don't need that all over FB to do it. 

I'm tired of scrolling through advertisements, false information flagged posts, and so many reposted memories that it makes me question the mental well being of those posting. Do they not have anything happy going on now that they always have to look back? Repeatedly?  Four times a day?

Youngest was in the mental hospital for 5 days.  It took two days for the heightened anxiety of being connected all the time to even occur to him.  And once he noticed, he said it was awesome.  Freeing.  Relaxing.  There was literally nothing he could do about any of it, so he just let it go.  Five days of disconnection. He called only those he wanted to talk to. No drama.  No pressure. He said it was like a vacation.

Five days later, he's home.  The phone is back.  His stocks have gone crazy. Toxic people have connected.  The results have been bad, borderline disastrous. I try reminding him that he doesn't need to feel this way. That he can control how the phone makes him feel.  That never letting his mind turn off, raises his stress on a subconscious level.  Back in the day, when you broke up with someone, you stopped communication.  They weren't in your face unless you let them.  Social media doesn't allow for the mind to process loss. It doesn't allow for grief. It grows depression and promotes manipulation. Even having it in the room while you're sleeping doesn't allow down time.  Even in sleep mode, the mind knows it's there, and will never get to a deep relaxation, just in case there's another notification. 

I am one of the few people that still writes posts fairly regularly.  Sometimes I post memes, or images, and occasionally I will share a memory. Interestingly enough people comment about this often, that I am one of the few who still uses FB for what it was intended, and that has been what kept me there for the last year or so.

But now... I just don't think it's enough.  I've seen the damage that social media is having on my family, on me. It will be hard, like any addiction is, but I think it's time to back away for a bit.

Realistically though I still need a platform for my thoughts and journaling.  

Kind of like what I already have here.

You're welcome.  Or, I'm sorry.

Your choice.


11 comments:

  1. Your family has been through so much.
    I'm glad you're still on FB, but I'm with you on the paring down of social media.
    I'm also wondering about all the really little kids I see in the grocery store holding their dad's or mom's phone while sitting in the shopping cart. Where's the interaction? Sharing conversation about the fresh fruit or 'do you want to get the cherry or the blueberry tarts'?
    Electronic stuff has taken over almost everyone's existence, and it really is kind of frightening.

    I was talking to my son this evening and telling him that I've pretty much hidden everyone from my FB when all they can post are rabid political and religious posts. I respect opinions but I don't think I need them in my face.

    Yeah, this is your platform. Please keep writing.
    And hugs. You need hugs. And the socially distant variety, with me being on the west coast and you on the other side of the US... well, we should be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually horrifying how much of the day is spent *just checking in*. I was honestly surprised that my usage was so low (less than 2 hours a day unless I was using GPS to get somewhere) but still... that's two hours a day that I could be doing something else. Even if I was using that time to read a book, at least that would be MY choice, than that of an algorithm.

      Ironically, the husband who uses NO social media (he has FB but doesn't post anything ever) has nearly triple the screen time I do. He likes all the memory and puzzle solving games, and will play them for hours.

      I guess I'm just to the point where if it doesn't make me feel good, it's not a conscious decision (I'm opening it out of habit), and I have to hide nearly everyone in my feed, why even have it?

      I suspect, when my detox is done, I'll open an entirely new account with maybe 20 people in my list. :)

      Delete
  2. Perhaps you should ask the kids to watch the documentary...it could enlighten them to the pitfalls of social media. I still have FaceBook - but not on my phone and I peek in very rarely. I was turned off it pretty early on - the curating is ridiculously obvious when you see the post from one person about how "blessed she is to have SUCH a loving husband" which may be true - but you know for a fact that they've been at each other's throats for the last six months. I also have Twitter and Instagram but, again, I never really post much and have been very selective about what/who falls into my timeline.

    With the kids, I think it's harder for them to disconnect from their phones and apps because that's the way they communicate; the way they've communicated with their peers for most, if not all, of their lives and they can't conceive that there might be a better way.

    I know life is tough right now - so I'm sending much love and hugs to you across the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Agree with all of it, but you can't really see how bad it can be until you deal with someone who's vulnerable to all the evil that infects it. Me, I have my faith and my "snooze for 30 days" button, but not everyone can bring themselves to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the snooze often, I use the hide forever WAY more often. And at that point, why even have it?

      Delete
  4. I have to watch that on Netflix. I freely admit I spend way too much time on Facebook and I keep joining groups which then makes me spend more time on Facebook. I need to cut it down about 90%. Its my first go to place on my phone when I have a few minutes to spend online and then wouldn't you know it the minutes turn to hours and I've spent the whole afternoon scrolling. I often say to hubby I need to socially distance myself from my phone, meaning I need to socially distance myself from Facebook. Good reminder and message from you. I've been thinking of staying off it at least until after the election and then probably after it too. Facebook is the only social media, other than blogging, that I do. Don't have time for Instagram or Twitter or the like.

    Thanks for writing this; it inspires me to really get off Facebook!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have Netflix and doubt I will every watch the mentioned show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It basically outlines the onset of social media, how it was originally used to connect people, and quickly turned into a business of purchasing essentially, control of the human mind.

      It's scary, overwhelming, and all too real stuff... and it's a billion dollar industry.

      Delete
  6. Yes! To all of it. I deleted my FB for 6 months. I missed it at first but then I realized how freeing it was. I went back on as our area had some natural emergency type stuff going on and, unfortunately, FB seemed to be updated faster than any where else.
    I'm sorry for all you're going thru with the boys. I hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed you!!! Glad to see you're safe. And yes, no pun intended, information updates faster than wildfire on Facebook.

      We are struggling with all kinds of things here. I'm not going to candy coat any of it, it's all hard. When your son wants to go back to the "nut house" (his words) because it was easier, and all I have to offer him is that the food is better here, it's tough. But we've gotten through 100% of everything life has thrown at us, and we'll get through this too.

      (((HUGS)) and be safe!!!

      Delete
  7. Except for Blogging, which is my Happy Space, I'm not into Technology hardly at all and much to the chagrin of everyone else who seems totally Addicted to it. Most of the time I 'forget' to put my Cell Phone in my Purse when I leave Home... now they know it's probably not an accident. *winks* I don't like it being a Leash, I don't need to take or make Calls when I'm doing Life, or just Grocery Shopping, it's ridiculous to me. Of coarse I'm Old, a Dinosaur, who only got rid of my Flip Phone when the Adult Grandkids dragged The Man and I into the 21st Century kicking and screaming about it. I can see why any disconnect, even Hospitalization in extreme circumstances, can sometimes feel like a Mini Vacay when Life just gets too complicated and Too Much. I've gone off the Grid a few times just because I needed the respite, when you return, it's all still there and you do find you didn't miss much. I do still have a Book of Faces too, but I use it for purposes intended and dumped a whole lotta people because anything or anyone that even Smells like Drama and a Headache right now has got to GO!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Fresh Starts...

I was given another old trunk by an old friend of my husband. It wasn't in the roughest shape, but it definitely wasn't useable. I b...