Saturday, September 12, 2020

It's a Magical Place, Casa De Crazy...

Me: "How's it going, aside from wanting to come home?"

Youngest: "Good, I'm running the place.  I started an exercise club.  I learned how to play spades. I'm learning to play the keyboard. And if all goes as planned, I'm going home on Tuesday." 

That was yesterday.  The old meds are out of his system and the new meds are in.  I saw him today for the visiting hour, which due to COVID, is technically only 15 minutes.  I may have gotten a bit extra time since there were only 2 other people who showed up. He's in a wing of 16. It's sad really.

We had a nice conversation, with some tricky moments.  He didn't get agitated, just inserted his stubbornness.  He didn't jump up and pace, just sat calmly.  He talked about his plans to move forward, getting a job, squaring away his license, continuing on his meds with his therapist and new psychotherapist.  He has no interest in going back to the nic-sticks (nicotine vapes) which is really good.  One stick is the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes and does twice the damage. At this point he has no interest in quitting pot, but if he's honest, with the help of the Psychotherapist, he can at least pick strains that won't trigger other side effects.  And with a medicinal card, at 18, he can get it legally, from a reputable shop, and know what he's getting.  He knows how we feel about it, but in the end it's his choice.  All I ask is that he's as smart as he can be about his stupid decisions.

His roommate says this place is like summer camp with drugs. With no cell phones, computers, work, drama, etc., Youngest says he feels like he's on vacation.  He didn't realize how stressful day trading was for him, or always feeling like he had to have enough pot to share.  He confessed he'd gotten to the point where he couldn't tell who was friends with him just because of him, or what he could offer them. Seeing who has reached out has helped put a lot of it in perspective. He's getting a TON of sleep. I was telling this to Oldest and he doesn't know why he'd want to leave, summer camp with calming drugs? I kind of want to go to...

He still blames me, and that's okay.  I can take it. We all just have to make the best hand from the cards we've been dealt.

When I got home, the husband and I planted a hibiscus that needed to go in the ground before the fall weather really sets in.  We did some fall clean up, mowed the lawn. I put the fake pumpkins out.

While I was at the grocery store with Oldest, hubs was supposed to be working through the mounds of laundry we have downstairs. The laundry pile is truly horrifying right now. After a quick nap (I've been beyond exhausted lately), I headed downstairs to grab what he'd finished so far to fold upstairs and throw in what was left. Apparently, his working on laundry just meant throwing towels in the wash and nothing else.  So, I tossed in another load and turned to see the piles of dorm stuff everywhere and the disaster that is Youngest's room.

I haven't been able to bring myself to go down there in days.

An hour later I was well into the clean up. Painstakingly going through every crack and crevasse cleaning out trash, water bottles, and lord knows what else.  I put all his stuff away from the dorm, hung his flags back up, even changed the sheets.  No reason to waste the dorm décor I spent good money on.  It looks great down there now, a comfy place to lay his head, a home.  This of course lead to vacuuming the whole downstairs, and throwing in additional loads of laundry as the cleaning progressed.

When the downstairs was done, I moved into the kitchen.  I put away all the dorm snacks, loaded the dishwasher, restocked the fridge with water and such. I cleaned the table off, opened mail, created yet another bag of trash to be taken out in the morning. I fed the fish and the dog, threw in another load of laundry.

By the time I made it back to the living room I realized that Oldest had gone out and Hubs had gone to bed. Because apparently he gets to live in a world where I'm going to bed actually means you get up off the couch and go to bed. And when you wake up magical fairies have cleaned the house spotless overnight. Those fairies work their wings off let-me-tell-ya.

So, yeah...Just another Saturday night at Casa De Crazy.  

Where the house is magically cleaned overnight. 

Oldest is undoubtedly not bringing me home endless breadsticks from the Garden of Olive. 

Youngest is head of the circus, and we're getting the band back together since we finally have a keyboard player. 

8 comments:

  1. I imagine with everything you ARE exhausted. I'm glad he seems calmer and is making plans for the future. Get some rest, Juli. You need to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to take care of me. I have been seeing my own therapist, and I will not budge on those appointments. I FINALLY stood my ground at work about taking time off.  I'm making the schedule work for me, and flat out told them to do what they want, but I'm not compromising the health of myself or my family, end point. Plus I'm getting FMLA for this, so there's really nothing they can do.

      I am doing what keeps me sane, crafty projects, doodling, cleaning (order makes me happy), and walking the dog longer without the phone. And mostly, I'm not trying to hide what happened.  If he had broken a leg it would be all over social media.  There is no shame in what happened, and we will get through this.  It is amazing how many people came to support me saying that they also went through something similar. 

      Delete
  2. Parents get worn out dealing with a mental health issue in their children especially if they the parents don't have a support system for themselves. When dealing with daughter and her suicide attempts and her psychosis and her therapists saying we had to do this and that for her I asked what about us? Who helps us? And there was silence for a moment until they began again talking about her needs. So that is why I think there were only 2 visitors. It's wearing and tearing dealing with it as you know.

    It is good that Youngest is making progress with the new meds. Even though he is an adult and can make his own decisions you have the right to have rules he must follow at your home. Remember that.

    You need to take care of yourself or you will burn out if you aren't there already. I keep saying it but you have to make sure you are in a good place for yourself so you can be there to help others.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm admiring your energy.
    I have none.

    I'm glad, so glad that your son is getting the help he needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to chip away at the "Leave the phone upstairs" for the night thing. He always used to until Junior year. It's so empowering to put the phone away for the night, where you can't see it and be always "On".

      It's so hard to disconnect for these kids...

      And to be clear, my energy comes from my need to control what I can. Order and cleanliness makes me calm. So while it's a lot of work, it makes me feel better. I worked 8 hours today running packages, came home and folded 7 loads of laundry. Which may sound crazy, but it actually made me feel good to have it all completely done.

      Delete
  4. You have such energy, I however, have none but that's ok I am me and you are you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two points: I hope he learns that as long as you do pot, you'll never really know who's a true friend. Ever. And, our washer took a crap today, right in the middle of my wash. Ringing out clothes and bailing out the tub are so much fun. Wanna trade?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...