Saturday, September 5, 2020

What's Next (Part 2)

Tomorrow we leave to bring Youngest back to college.

He's on *probation* until April, so basically he can't even fart without being booted, but at least he has the opportunity to finish what he started.  He has mixed feelings about going back, and honestly so do I.

The rumor is that the cafeteria has at least opened back up for dine in or out, which means more meals can be eaten outside of the dorm room. The marketplace has opened as well, so there's other options (Dunkin', Subway, etc.) as well.  They order off the app and can grab it and go.  Again, with the dining hall being open, this will be huge for interaction with other kids. His in person classes start on Monday, all part of the be off campus by Thanksgiving plan. Dropping him off late at night tomorrow allows his to get dinner, but be ready for classes. 

He's been working through some big things while he's been home.  He's spent the last 2 days with the boys, which makes me think he and the girlfriend might be on a break.  She's very nice, but Hubs thinks it may be easier for him to be away without attachments.  He's angry at the college, that he was judged and treated harsher than the other boy involved in the stupidity.  He's also pissed that his fine is higher that the other kid, because the extra fine was for something that belonged to the other kid and not him. But that's a wash now I guess. He seems relived to learn that the cafeteria is open finally. His goal now is to get through the semester, pass, and then look at other options.  Which is sad really.  The last year all he could wait for is to get there, and between covid and snap judgments, that's all been ruined for him.  The school broke him, and there are no consequences for that. The plan right now is for him to come home every other weekend.  Honestly I'd get him every weekend but I think that might send a red flag for the covid issues, and no one wants that.

I try to remind him to embrace the dorky.  That if what everyone's doing in the dorm isn't his thing, find one that is.  Movies on the green, scavenger hunts, longboarding to the east campus, watching avatar in his room, whatever. This time when we get there, we are spending the time to hang the pictures, get the TV functioning, stocking the fridge with his favorites. Doing what we can to make it feel like home.

I worry a lot about how he'll be. But I am really trying to let it go. At best, he'll thrive.  At worst, we'll go back and pick him up. It's out of my control. And worrying is like wishing for the worst to happen.  So I'm trying my best to not do that.

Oldest, on the other hand, can't wait to get started on Tuesday.  He has multiple friends with apartments near campus, so while his day will be insanely long in the city, if he needs to he can crash there and come home in the morning. The car, that for now we are calling his, is all registered and inspected.  The drop off registry services, while confusing and far from home, are relatively painless.  He handled that and the inspection himself. 

Hubs is on vacation next week.  He is supposed to be getting tires on the truck thanks to an unexpected back pay in this week's paycheck.  Apparently payroll was supposed to be giving them an additional 1% of a contractual increase and they haven't for months.  It accumulated to quite a bit. So not only does he have the time to do it, but the money as well. We'll see if/when that happens.

I am back to the postal grind on Tuesday.  It's going to be a tough week, no doubt.  We are not getting on the road until 11 am most days due to poor scheduling of clerks.  Friday I did a voluntary second run of packages just so I didn't have to stand around for 2 hours doing nothing. This is the start of our Holiday season, and I'm weary that there will be a plan, or even a "Pla" to get us through it. 

On the upside though I did take a bit of time for myself this week.  Got the bills squared away, formulated a plan to get back on track by the end of the month.  It wasn't as bad as I thought. I got my hair cut for the first time in 2 years. The pile on the floor looked like a small dog when she was done. I colored it the next day on my own. I used some gift cards to get myself a facial and massage at the local spa.  Even fell asleep in the relaxation room after a long foot soak. It was lovely and, after my indulgent purchase of moisturizer at the girt shop, only cost me $15.

One things for sure, we all just can't keep going the way we're going.  Youngest has to figure things out on his own.  Oldest needs to move forward with his education and regain some sense of normal.  Hubs needs a break from work, and some quiet time to himself.  And I need to get back to taking care of me for a bit.

Because if Mom goes down, they'll all go down.

3 comments:

  1. So true with your last line. When we were going through tough times with a family issue I was full of anxiety and worry. It was getting the best of me. I read somewhere to delegate a small period of time daily, like 10 minutes, on worrying. If one thought of worry before that time they were to redirect their thinking and remember they could worry at that time. I tried it and it cut worrying down a lot and made it manageable. We as moms are natural worriers. We have to allow our adult children to learn how to maneuver life on their own. I still struggle with that lol and son is 31 years old. Youngest will do fine. Might take a little more time and several stumbles but you built a good foundation in him. Glad to hear he can continue with school presently. I hope he stays away from that supposed friend there. Good to hear Oldest has things set in place to continue his learning.

    I dread Tuesday at work. This past Wednesday the unemployment office sent out 2500 letters to claimants for them to verify their identity to stop fraud cases. They have to take a selfie of themselves holding their driver license. I fear we will get inundated with mail on Tuesday. Oh well, job security I guess!

    Take care of yourself and I mean that literally. Take care of yourself!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That payroll thing just seems to confirm what I have long suspected- there aren't enough competent people anymore to fill this nation's positions requiring competency. College seems to be a scary place everywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing about college, never been, don't know anyone who has

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...