Monday, April 26, 2021

And Yet, I Digress....

 It was the kind of week where I swore way more than I should have, and hugged much less than I wanted to. Between heated conversations with my boss out on the acoustically enhanced loading dock, to understaffing so horrendous I found myself stepping in for overtime multiple times. One of my favorite coworkers is grieving the loss of a good friend, who also happens to be my customer as well, and I can't even give her a completely non-covid-approved deep felt hug of sympathy.

These Covid cooties suck. 

I have been finding projects to fill my time when the talk in my head gets to loud. I've had this coffee table in the basement for the better part of ten years. My cousin gave it to me, as she was getting remarried and it had been a wedding gift from her first marriage in 1993-ish. I used it for a bit, but when Oldest was around five he wanted to fix it, and tapped it with a hammer. Needless to say, the glass insert didn't survive his Bob The Builder phase. 



So, it's been in the basement, waiting until it could become one of my projects.  First thing that had to go was the 90's style golden oak finish. 


Paint stripping is not for sissies my friends.  It is hard work. What didn't come off with the stripper my sander made quick work of.  Once stripped down to bare wood, I started with the stain...


The gray stain gives it a more casual look, which is what I was going for.  The Hubs of course didn't like the lighter color, and insisted we do another coat. Three coats later, we ended up with a fairly consistent gray stain, with only nuisances of wood grain coming through.  At this point, I decided to get risky, and add some black accents and a pop of color for the inside.


It took a few tries, and several swatches of colors against the gray to decide on an ultra matte baby blue. 


I spent a few days scrolling through pages and pages of drawer pulls to find the right ones.  It seems I have every expensive taste.  Eventually I settled on this art deco style, rustic, but not too harsh against the gray wash. I also wanted to add small casters to the bottom to make it easier to move since this sucker is hea-vy. But that didn't quite work out.



I ordered the glass from a local company downtown. The fit was perfect and they had it ready in a day for me. 

And as luck would have it, my newest blog books arrived right on time to be the showcase inside the shadow box along with my scrapbooks of our adventures with the boys. It's a coffee table of coffee table books! Win, Win.




I should be happy, right?  Another piece saved from the basement. 

But now we really have no space in the living room.  I mean, like where is the dog going to roll around scratching her back like a lunatic? As luck would have it, the neighbor has been watching my progress and loves the table, apparently it's just her style.  And, she's moving in with her fiancé on the 7th and has no furniture.


I hope she likes double chocolate chip cookies.



**** Ed Note: My blog books have all been done by Blog to Print in the past.  For the "new" blog I decided to go with Pixxibooks and I could not be happier!  The price was in line with other companies and it came in a week.  I receive no compensation for mentioning them, this isn't that type of blog. ****

10 comments:

  1. What a great deal--you saved the furniture and the neighbor got a piece of furniture she will love. Perfect. I wonder what your neighbor will put in the coffee table for show?
    I put in so many pictures that I doubt I could ever afford to print my blog posts--LOL! Sounds like a fun idea, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that she will put wedding stuff in there as they are getting married in Oct of 22. Until then, maybe deer antlers? They both lost their Dads who were avid hunters, he staged the area where he proposed in the woods with their Dad's prize antlers.

      Delete
  2. Another fine job of small-scale This Old House-ing! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like doing the projects... it keeps me from picking fights with Hubs and Youngest when I am overly stressed.

      Delete
  3. You are so talented! I love how it turned out!! That was great too that your neighbor has use for it. And how cool about your blog books. I have heard that people do it and I did it for a blog I had several years ago but haven't recently. I helped myself to a cookie on my way out :)

    Let's hope staffing improves at work so you don't have to pull a lot of overtime and stress reduces at home too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you. A win for you (and a lot of work) and a win for your neighbour.
    Where are you going to put your blog books now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juli! It's gorgeous!! Also, I need you to come down here...I have a few things that need your talent...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects turn out so beautifully, while most of mine look . . . sad. Your blog books are beautiful, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the beginning I did Blog 2 Print and created some Blog Books, got too expensive and I never went back to re-read any of them. Now, after over a Decade of Blogging, I dump all but a Month's worth of Posts now, I'm detached from the Outcome and figured nobody scrolls thru my Blog Archives anyway, not even me. *LOL* You did a great makeover and now someone will have a Custom piece as a Housewarming Gift, perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

Fresh Starts...

I was given another old trunk by an old friend of my husband. It wasn't in the roughest shape, but it definitely wasn't useable. I b...