Wednesday, April 21, 2021

White Noise...

Returning home from walking the dog, I left the windows open, no one's home. The tiny nuance of traffic on the main drag is far overshadowed by the cheeps of tiny birds, cackles of crows, and falcons crying in the breeze; sounds only interrupted by an occasional child's voice. The dog's already snoring in the corner, sleeping it off until her Dad comes home. Perfect end to an imperfect day, uninterrupted by the chaos of white noise.

The peace will not last of course, as the husband will be home soon. White noise seems to follow him, the television mysteriously left on, relentless ads playing on his opened face book feed, tiny Vegas like sounds of coins being added from his cell phone games. Youngest is just as bad. We listened for days to incessant buzzing as his old phone, screen shattered and unreadable, slowly died on the kitchen table. Funny, for two people so adamant to not be technologically connected, they certainly live with their head in the password protected cloud.

And the peace did not last as they both came home at the same time. Youngest was only here for a few minutes, and his quick exit just adds to the palatable stress between him and the husband. I can see the tiny steps forward, while the husband only sees the bigger picture.

I continue to hold my ground, speaking up when I see something unacceptable. One would not think I would have to remind him that civilized people say hello and goodbye to each other, but here we are. When I said I would not leave the door open for him the other night, he said he'd sleep down at the pond. I reminded him he could sleep in the driveway to avoid randos and wildlife. He miraculously made it home on time instead. Last night he was home 3 hours early.

I find him reading in his car often, deeply lost in a book, enveloped in the warm coma inducing sun shining through the windows, cracked ever so slightly, to venting the permanent smell of marijuana. He's re-registered himself at the local Community College for a start in September. The irony is that he's been registered for months now, but since he did it then because he was bored, he didn't remember. We are scheduling an appointment to sit down with a live person to ensure he's on track and properly registered, so they'll be no misunderstanding of what's expected come fall. I can see all the tiny steps and changes. Hubs can only smell the pot and see and the friendly hooligans coming in and out of the garage.

Oldest will be home for the summer on Monday. A welcome distraction from our regular chaos, but he will be another voice breaking the peace and quiet I so relish in the afternoon. At least until he finds a job to fill his days.

And despite all this late afternoon white noise, I know the evening is coming. The television and computers clicked into sleep mode, and I can leave the windows open. The bullfrogs will soon be filing the night air with their twangy sounds, punctuated by crickets, and the occasional coyote scoring a fresh meal. Shadows of late night dog walkers spread across the quiet side street outside, setting off a few motion sensors as they stroll by. A restorative peace in darkness, before the blue light starts up again along side the morning sun.



11 comments:

  1. That was beautiful! I know how you feel...relishing in the peace. Once The Husband is home, the tv gets turned on and left on even after he's moved on to another activity. There's banging in the kitchen, him singing to himself, the constant talking to himself or me. That's why during the day this house is, for the most part, quiet as I work or do various chores. It is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are randos? I think women are more perceptive of changes their children are doing than men in general. Baby steps forward, right? I miss my quiet house that I had to myself for years until hubby retired. Not that he makes a lot of noise but I miss that quiet. Thankfully the job I'm working is relatively quiet. Some of us really do thrive without a lot of noise, right?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slang for random people. You never know who will be knocking on the car window at 2am. :(

      Delete
  3. I really like your writing style, and even though I am a husband I don't do the noisy, leave-the-tv-on, leave a trail of noise thing. I totally relish my early morning reading/writing time. It's just me in a quiet house with only the sound of the coffee maker hissing and burping and my wife's occasional snores. Thanks for an impressive morning read, but rest assured I'm not making light of any negativity you deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. And I'm not knocking husbands or guys for white noise specifically, just people in general. For many years I had to have background noise to distract me from being alone with my thoughts. Age and a TON of personal work has put that to rest.

      As for the negativity, it is what it is. I raised him to know better, to be better, he just has to want it for himself.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely post. I adore the peace and quiet that I have now and wish the same for you, although not caused by the absence of the people.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have many years of "kids" being in and out. We have had a very open conversation with Oldest regarding the smartest way for him to pay off college is to live here for 2 years or so until he's made a significant dent in it.

      I figure I have about 4 more years of coming and going at least.

      Delete
  5. I agree that Women are perceptive of small nuances and changes than Men, a Mother especially will almost always retain a more Hopeful outlook about improvements of their Offspring. The Man is very much like your Hubs when it comes to he and The Son and how tense a situation it can become when their Testosterone bumps up against one another Man to Man. *Le Sigh* The oddity being, The Man is much more lenient with Daughters, I think part of it is how one is Raised... in his upbringing his Dad was really tough on the Sons. He and his Brothers attribute how tough they are to that, but to me it seemed Worlds apart from the Dad who Raised my Brother and I. Dad was strict and stoic, but he was the most Loving and Caring Man I may have ever known, I feel fortunate that he was my best and first Male Role Model.

    ReplyDelete
  6. White Noise Generator Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...

With Distinction....

Somewhere around February Oldest had a breakdown thinking he was going to fail one class this semester, something about concrete structures?...